Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2 concentrator was dying
O2 concentrator was dying
The 5+ year old O2 concentrator that was providing my needed 2 LPM supplemental O2 recently started showing signs if reduced O2 %. The O2 concentrator was approved when I was using a straight CPAP machine. After I started using the P R Dreamstation purchased out of pocket two years ago my blood O2 saturation % improved and put me over the medicare/insurance threshold but still not to the level that my pulmonoligist was looking for and not to a level that my wife and I were comfortable with. So I set out to find a solution. After some research I purchased a Philips Resperonics EverFlo Q concentrator. I could have possibly persisted with insurance and gotten a replacement machine but decided to skip the insurance and DME complications and buy a machine of my own choosing. This is a whisper quiet machine and only weighs 31# and puts out less heat than others I have used. The local DMEs rent machines for $200/month. I paid $740 for the new machine including delivery. I post this information for whatever it is worth.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 concentrator was dying
Have you replaced the filters lately you can order them online .
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a EverflowQ and just looked at it again.
It only has one easy to replace filter. I just looked
at mine and it's still almost clean but I have heard
they can get clogged. At least now they are easy to
replace. I had one old old machine that you had to take
the cover off just ot get to the darn filters but I shouldn't
complain about that old clunker as I found it in a Goodwill
store for $25 and with a $22 set of filters it worked for
about 3 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
everflo needs maintenance, mainly to the compressor, if your % is falling it means its time, find someone and don't pay them more then $50 for it. Alternatively you can rotate the knob for more then 2 LPM, it has a max of 5LPM, so you just have to multiply the number by the % it shows to get the right amount each night.

EG. you need 2 LPM your % shows e.g. 70% purity so you'd need to set it to slightly below 3 LPM to get 2 LPM 100% purity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks EW and Crowtor, I agree with you both. The machine that croaked was a Visionaire by AirSep, a really good, very rugged machine but no longer in production. It had about seven or eight years on it based on 8 hours per night. When the amber low light started coming on intermittently I watched it. After a while, when the audible alarm started beeping I knew it was time or maybe past time to get a replacement. I just got the EverFlo so it will be a while before service is needed. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is it OK to turn on an oxygen concentrator before my APAP machine? EMihalis 10 742 12-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Should I be considering an oxygen concentrator? gainerfull 24 2,283 08-07-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  TriCare Prime and Oxygen Concentrator greensled 0 437 07-12-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: greensled
  Oxygen concentrator vpsdub 1 477 06-26-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen concentrator as non-medically indicated optimization? cyrial 3 489 06-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: cyrial
Question Best Oxygen Concentrator? YouTakeMyBreathAway 6 978 10-13-2022, 12:42 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
Cool Oxygen concentrator in a cabin/power requirements RainbowFish 4 814 09-10-2022, 06:43 PM
Last Post: clownbell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.