Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OK to plug machine into a UPS?
RE: OK to plug machine into a UPS?
(08-16-2019, 01:29 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: CPAP equipment couldn't give a rat's patoot if you plug it into "pure sine wave" form current or stepped or jumped sine wave form current.

My ResMed power supply says its input can be 100 - 240 vac and 50 - 60 Hz. That tells me it is a switching power supply, similar to one provided with laptops, and can probably digest any sort of input I can throw at it. Of course within those specified limits. So I would be comfortable with my ResMed AirCurve 10 running on a modified sine wave UPS with no ill effects.

I don't own a PR CPAP, but the same analogy would go for it. If your PAP device had ratings similar to my ResMed machine, then go for it. Worst case, if the power supply died, which I doubt it would, they are pretty cheap to replace. And I would say it is extremely unlikely that your PR power supply (or ResMed power supply) would send anything to the PAP device of a destructive nature. I think if any of that were the case, we would see a lot of posts on this forum warning not to use a modified sine wave UPS on our devices. And I am sure there are a significant number of members here successfully using cheaper UPS's without a hitch.

Just be sure to size the UPS appropriately to cover a power hiccup or long term outage - whatever your needs require.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
These machines use straight up DC, not AC or any type. And those transformers really don't care what you feed them, within voltage design specs.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 01:29 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: CPAP equipment couldn't give a rat's patoot if you plug it into "pure sine wave" form current or stepped or jumped sine wave form current.

Most of the times they use cheap pulse power supplies that will filter the waves to make the DC that the actual machine works with...the point is what capacity yiu need fos a whole night or two...???
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,312 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,893 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,864 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,342 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  resmed car plug adapters roadkingrick 2 605 08-25-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can I plug an SD card into my machine? glen4cindy 5 969 02-06-2021, 12:07 AM
Last Post: glen4cindy
  Seeking the service plug in modules and software for Phillips ASV machines racprops 1 793 10-19-2020, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.