Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR 1.4.0 - no response [solved- see post #23]
RE: OSCAR 1.4.0 - no response
My wifes MBA has Ventura 13.1:

The setting is in System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders > OSCAR

I updated her version of OSCAR and loaded your SD card data.  Everything loaded and displayed fine.  So there must be some setting on your Mac, or third party app, that we are missing.
Do you happen to use any type of anti-virus software?

EDIT: If you have an M1 Mac (Apple Silicone) you may also want to check this article and verify your settings:
https://appleinsider.com/inside/macos-ve...os-ventura
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2023, 11:04 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: My wifes MBA has Ventura 13.1:

The setting is in System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders > OSCAR

I updated her version of OSCAR and loaded your SD card data.  Everything loaded and displayed fine.  So there must be some setting on your Mac, or third party app, that we are missing.
Do you happen to use any type of anti-virus software?

EDIT: If you have an M1 Mac (Apple Silicone) you may also want to check this article and verify your settings:
https://appleinsider.com/inside/macos-ve...os-ventura

Thank you. OSCAR is authorized with full disk access.
My MBA is Intel.
I use Avast Premium. Already tried installing it, rebooting MBA and ran OSCAR. Still no access to SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
First thing I would try is to turn off Avast. Then try to run OSCAR again. Anti-virus programs tend to have unexpected results with some apps. Many AV users need to add an exception to allow OSCAR to run properly.

Next would be to remove "Full Disk Access" for OSCAR. It doesn't need it and may be triggering some security exception with Ventura. As I posted in the earlier screenshot under "Files and Folders", OSCAR only needs Documents and Removable Volumes. It will add other locations as needed.

When you start OSCAR, up on the top menubar click OSCAR > About and then click the link in the right panel for "Show data folder". This should verify that it is located at ~/Documents/OSCAR_Data.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: First thing I would try is to turn off Avast.  Then try to run OSCAR again.  Anti-virus programs tend to have unexpected results with some apps.  Many AV users need to add an exception to allow OSCAR to run properly.

Next would be to remove "Full Disk Access" for OSCAR.  It doesn't need it and may be triggering some security exception with Ventura.  As I posted in the earlier screenshot under "Files and Folders", OSCAR only needs Documents and Removable Volumes.  It will add other locations as needed.

When you start OSCAR, up on the top menubar click OSCAR > About and then click the link in the right panel for "Show data folder".  This should verify that it is located at ~/Documents/OSCAR_Data.

Excellent news, due to you diligence, focus and competence.
I did not turn off Avast.
With FULL DISK ACCESS option ON, the option FILES and FOLDERS does not show the option for Removable Volumes (attachment A).
With FULL DISK ACCESS option OFF, the option FILES and FOLDERS DOES show the options for Removable Volumes. Why? (attachment B). I turned it ON as it was OFF as default.
I guess how many people may not know about this. I could find nothing about it with APPLE but it does not surprise me.
And VOILÀ! I could start OSCAR and then connect the SD card.
Avast intercepted as a probable dangerous menace. I had the option to allow just ONCE or ALWAYS. I took ALWAYS.
OSCAR could go on and import all the data.
If we lived close I would buy you a beer, a soda or a cafe, whatever your option is. I do not usually drink alcoholic things but I would open an exception for this memorable occasion!
Thanks again!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
neycastro ,

That's great news!!!

As to why that was happening I can only speculate that it was something with macOS and app security.  Apple has gotten a lot more strict with things that can access the entire disk.  As a general guideline most apps should only have access to the parts they need to function properly like Documents, Downloads, Removable Volumes, etc.  With a couple of exceptions (Finder and Terminal) having full disk access can be a security risk and macOS gets fussy about it.
Ventura has some new/different/updated features so it's a learning curve....

EDIT: A virtual cup of coffee works just fine, thanks ! Coffee
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot select profile in OSCAR [solved, see post #9] GB San Jose 9 1,491 10-09-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: GB San Jose
Question Oscar installation problem [solved, see post #4] Bertrand 3 731 09-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Bertrand
  Oscar V 1.5 [screen resolution issues - solved, see post #4] Dannobre 15 1,598 09-10-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  OSCAR - will not open [solved - see post #2] gjstein 4 1,465 08-31-2023, 03:02 AM
Last Post: John7
  OSCAR 1.4.0 not loading [solved, see post #2] clayesq 1 579 08-24-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: clayesq
  Oscar Not Loading My Profile [solved, see post #10] mawaw1992 10 1,249 08-22-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Oscar will not show Overview after SD card Replacement [Solved, see post #4] DaKitty 4 760 05-04-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.