Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does OSCAR decide what day a session belongs to?
How does OSCAR decide what day a session belongs to?
I use OSCAR to look at the data from my AirSense. I'm also a hobbyist programmer working on Python code to read that data. I will never rival OSCAR, but I'm having fun, and my code currently reads EVE and PLD files and draws graphs (thanks to OSCAR and edf2ascii for guiding me along). My question concerns how OSCAR decides what date a session belongs too. I looked at the wiki, but I don't even know where to look for my specific question.

Most days, I go to sleep in the evening and get up in the morning. All these sessions are recorded under the start day even if some sessions are dated the next day. That makes sense for my lifestyle. Sometimes I go to bed late, after midnight, but OSCAR still assigns sessions to the previous date. I suppose it either always assumes I sleep a regular shift, night to morning, or it looked at my data and decided I'm a night-morning sleeper, or something in the ResMed settings data told it (though looking at the str.edf and identification.tgt file didn't help)? 

What date would the sessions be attributed to if I worked shifts? For a midnight to 8AM shift, sleeping 9AM to 5PM would logically count for the same date. On the afternoon shift 4PM to midnight, I would regularly go to sleep past midnight, so would that count towards the previous date or the date the sleep started? My naps could for the date they occur on, and it makes sense. If I slept days and sometimes napped after midnight, would it count for the previous date of the date it occurs on?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does OSCAR decide what day a session belongs to?
A Resmed's day is from noon to noon.  You state an AirSense, but not which model.  The AS10 as a time/date setting feature in the clinician menu.  Whereas, the AS11 is set to a timezone.

Using your "going to bed after midnight", would be recorded as the previous day's data. This data would remain on the previous day until you hit noon. At which time, if you're still sleeping, the remainder will be recorded in the following day.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does OSCAR decide what day a session belongs to?
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Editing session start/end times within OSCAR jas102543 6 1,580 03-12-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: j12251225
  Not all session data is imported clan 21 2,214 12-01-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Issue: Oscar imported session partially alexroz 3 556 11-04-2023, 04:15 AM
Last Post: alexroz
  Session Preferences srlevine1 0 425 10-24-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Thumbsdown DreamStation 2 Session Info - Phantom Disconnects Wizard99 24 2,507 10-02-2023, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Remove imported session from OSCAR? Cuppa 2 551 03-16-2023, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Cuppa
  Viatom O2 ring files split up during sleep session LazeEng 3 463 03-11-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: LazeEng

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.