Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Oximetry Pulse Rate Events - In Excessive Amounts (?)
Question 
OSCAR Oximetry Pulse Rate Events - In Excessive Amounts (?)
From data recorded by a Wellvue O2Ring, OSCAR typically displays around 300 pulse rate drop events per night's sleep, itself around 8 hours. Also when I am awake.

I see in OSCAR's Preferences for Oximetry, a (presumed significant) pulse drop is by default set to 5 bpm in 10 seconds. With this setting, for a typical user, how many events would OSCAR typically report? I imagine it would be ten times less than I experience - otherwise the default "hurdle" would have been set higher. Is that the case?

If the above is indeed the case, then what might my "overloading deluge" of 300 events/night imply as possible "most likely" explanations? I believe it is likely just my normal state, hereditory in nature (my mother's pulse rate was known to vary abnormally).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Oximetry Pulse Rate Events - In Excessive Amounts (?)
Have you considered random noise caused by movement and static-producing bedding?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The ring records occasional sporadic movement separated by nothing (measured). There is no obvious correlation between pulse events and movement. Some (not all) of the densest event-groups are during periods of no (detected) movement. My pulse rate varies a bit more than most people (from the limited number of other peoples' traces I've seen). Zooming in on one dense patch shows it cycling up and down (pretty regularly) with a peak-to-peak pulse-rate (not waveform!) period of 30 seconds. So I doubt it's static. I think it's just me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interestingly, for my GF wearing the same O2Ring last night, only 62 pulse-change Events were listed/displayed (as compared to my approximately 300). Even for that number though, I had the impression of being swamped by events, "losing the wood among the trees".

For her, doubling the rapid-change to 6% resulted in a more sensible/useful number and significance of events.

For me, keeping it at default (3%) but doubling the pulserate-change to 10 bpm gave me the best balance of information.

I discovered these settings by doing iterative experiments in a test-profile, where on each iteration I deleted data, altered the Preference > Oximetry settings and re-imported the same data.
By method described in this post:
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid467381

I wonder if events could in principle be coloured according to their degree (percentage) of drop.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yes, and I discovered that the Preferences > Oximeter settings (at least) are per-profile.
So different profiles can have different settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Added a new pulse oximeter importer... spacewrench 125 20,136 04-14-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: msfabus
  Questions about the Oximetry Preferences setting.... Lucky7 4 263 03-23-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: croc297
  Oscar question - flow rate graph not showing kkjacks 7 259 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Importing Oximetry data billmelk 1 172 03-10-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 663 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  Flow Rate and Mask pressure missing BuzzaJim 9 579 01-30-2024, 03:55 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  OSCAR Reports do not appear to have O2 and Pulse Data SKPC 5 574 12-31-2023, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.