Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Report Analysis Help? How am I doing
RE: OSCAR Report Analysis Help? How am I doing
wooooh .13?!?! wow i thought i was doing well!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you're doing good with the therapy, except for some flow limits that may be wanting a cleanup. Get that under control by way of a small increase in pressure and you'll likely be set to cruise along.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
what is a flow limit exactly?
Post Reply Post Reply
there's a glossary under help in oscar that links to the wiki:

Flow Limitation (FL) - Partial closure of the upper airway, which impedes the flow of air into the lungs.

from the resmed website: flow limitation refers to any event that limits the flow of air into your body, due to a blockage or collapse of your upper airway.

by that definition obstructive hypopnea and apnea are flow limitations. however, hypopnea and apnea aren't 'flagged' as flow limitations so for the purposes of reporting these less restrictive events, the algorithms must define them at a some level of restriction lower than apnea and hypopnea.

I expect someone here knows but in 15 minutes of searching online I could not find an exact percentage of restriction that distinguishes flow limitation from hypopnea and apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! They all seem like different levles of obstructions based on time they persist (Apnea) or what they do (RERA)
Post Reply Post Reply
For apnea classification see my signature
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(Someone said Jehova ... ) The term "flow limitation" is ambiguous. It may refer to a physical event (airway reopening after initial collapse, soft-tissue vibration, phasic upper airway dilation, tracheal traction and more) happening in the airway.

On the other hand, ResMed's machines *grades* the airflow, resulting in a number between 0 and 1, confusingly called "flow limitation" as well, which may or may not correspond to an actual physical event describe above -- there may be an obstruction where the machine reports a flow limitation of zero, e.g.

Only the eye of a trained beholder may judge from the flow rate diagram whether there may have happened a physical flow limitation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,419 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 147 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 176 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.