Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Pandemic and OSA
The Pandemic and OSA
There are several emerging reports of the influence of the Pandemic on sleep; most report the obvious, namely difficulty in falling asleep ad frequent awakening during the night. Studies have also shown that among those hospitalized with COVID, and these would be those who are quite ill, there is a higher than anticipated incidence of baseline OSA, suggesting (unsurprisingly) that sleep apnea is a risk factor. Lacking to date is what changes may be occurring in treated OSA/CSA patients who have not had COVID-19 during the pandemic. As a retired physician and sleep apnea patient on CPAP for six years, my own experience has been for periodic breathing to be more pronounced but lacking the diagnostic hallmarks of Cheyne-Stokes breathing, that is, waxing and waning of a respiratory pattern evident on OSCAR but without intervals of true apnea. Concurrently, there has been a slight increase in my average AHI, but that remains in the normal range. I have been unable to find literature references to the influence of the Pandemic on persons with treated CPAP but who have not experienced clinical COVID-19. Such data could be important going forward in our understanding of sleep physiology. I would appreciate hearing from members of this forum whether you have experienced changes in your sleep data through this pandemic and what those changes might be.  Many thanks prospectively and sleep well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Pandemic and OSA
indirectly related: my respiration rate as reported by my resmed machines has risen from about 16 to 18 or 19 since receiving the moderna vaccine. probably not significant & obviously I can't say the vax caused it, but I do wonder. it's been higher before but not as consistently as the last 2 months. respiration rate may vary with pressure settings and that could be a factor but my settings have been pretty consistent for longer than 2 months. not likely pandemic stress as this didn't occur 'til more than a year into it & the pandemic hasn't altered my life as much as others (retired & never been much of a socialite.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I received the Moderna vaccine in January and February and have experienced no change in my respiration rate and have noted no side effects after the first few days.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
yes, the timing raised the suspicion in my mind but it's probably simple coincidence. I've tossed it out there in a couple places in the unlikely event anyone else has noticed something similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had Moderna and no change to my numbers....but 1/2 of a Tylenol and my numbers jump.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Fascinating, Cpapian. As you perhaps know, there are small studies that suggest that Melatonin potentiates the immune response and during the pandemic, I have taken 1mg at night. Tylenol, like Melatonin, has CNS effects. I have wondered if Melatonin is responsible for my rising rate of periodic breathing (which is recorded on the Respironics Dreamstations).
Post Reply Post Reply
Try stopping the melatonin for a while and see what happens. I don't believe it is intended for regular daily use anyways. Also, if you are vaccinated you may be largely protected now. Depending, of course, how many shots and how long ago.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently Diagnosed - Mask fitting advice during a pandemic DazedRunner 8 1,176 07-13-2020, 07:27 PM
Last Post: DazedRunner

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.