Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR [mobile devices & cellular modem use]
OSCAR [mobile devices & cellular modem use]
Have you guys thought of going mobile and some how using the cell radio in current machines to download the SD card into Oscar? I’m asking because not only would it be seamless I think it would put the software into more hands with pap machines. 

I’ve noticed recently during our hiring frenzy at work that there are a lot of people who have no idea how to use desktop software. Give them their phones and they’re fine but as soon as they need to use the computer they need to be walked through step by step instead of just looking at the screen and finding what to click.

Just an observation I’ve made in the blue collar world.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar
Unfortunately it's a huge project and would require completely re-writing the code which is not supported on mobile devices. The development team may eventually get there, but I doubt it will ever be fully wireless as the machines do not transmit the full spectrum of efficacy data by wireless, Bluetooth or wi-fi. The phone and modem connections are not available to devices. This is a choice by the manufacturers and is presumably to protect medical information and privacy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see, understood. Maybe in the near future encryption beyond 256bit will be the norm for the public’s use and that wouldn’t be an issue because that would be perfect. It would be just like the myAir app but actually useful
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear it has been talked about. If you want to join the team and work on that project, let me know.

The big issue is communications from the device. Many of the machines do communicate to a fixed number over a wireless dialup network. How do we legally tap that wireless signal? Not a trivial issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2019, 02:28 PM)bonjour Wrote: How do we legally tap that wireless signal?  Not a trivial issue.

Agreed.  I doubt it could be done legally.  WiFi and/or Bluetooth communication with a PC or smartphone is one thing, but tapping into cellular signals that were intended to transmit to providers sounds highly illegal (falling under wiretapping laws), unless you reprogram the cell modem in a CPAP machine to somehow call your own smartphone and upload your data that way.  Even if that were possible, that would involve hacking the CPAP machine itself along with developing mobile device software to handle that sort of thing and then (of course), the user would have to pay the ongoing costs to maintain an active cell phone number for the CPAP machine to transmit with. 
Too many obstacles there to be of any practical value as far as using the cellular modem, I would think.   Thinking-about

Now, if anyone decided to throw $150,000 or so towards an OSCAR mobile development effort, yeah, then I could see it happening (assuming the government regulators wouldn't get too involved with it;  otherwise you might need $500,000).   Too-funny

Given enough money & time, a lot can be accomplished...
...but doing it with volunteer developers as an open-source project with no budget?  Not going to happen anytime soon, IMHO.

About the only wireless route to go with any future mobile app would be with WiFi or Bluetooth, I would think.  Even then, designing a reliable IOS or Android mobile device app for sort of thing is still much more complicated than simple data transfer via SD card using a laptop or desktop PC.

Cool
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar [mobile devices & cellular modem use]
The current work-around is the use of wi-fi enabled SD cards. That is a way to get wireless access to the devices, but I think it immediately limits the number of people that will adopt the technology. Some devices are BT enabled, but they only send limited data.

Moving to fantasyland, if the manufacturers actually wanted to enable customer access to their detailed efficacy data, it would be logical to adapt OSCAR to mobile platforms.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
My guess on this is the CPAP manufacturers already give their customers access. And since us hosers aren't the customer, I bet it's not changing to mobile friendly OSCAR anytime soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven’t figured out how to quote multiple parts of multiple posts so I’ll just acknowledge everything as I go here. 

Bonjour I’m not a developer but I would enjoy helping with the UI and UX. My extent of knowledge of software development as far as code is concern is Visual Basic. I only got to if/then statements which is not much at all in the grand scheme of things but I do understand the need to design the UI for an excellent UX.

So I wouldn’t be able to help with coding but I would really enjoy testing alpha and beta versions and giving my suggestions for the UI to help with the UX and informing the developers of any bugs in the process.

Supersleeper I didn’t think of the ramifications of hacking the cell radio. You’re definitely right that would be very bad on many levels! 

Sleeprider and SarcasticDave god forbid if we use our electronics anyway we want. After all we only bought and paid for them. It’s either the manufacturers or big brother swatting our hands away.

Sleeprider I’ve thought of switching to a WiFi card. Do you just pop it in or do you have to format it. Just want to make sure it ends up getting recorded and sent for my compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I myself haven't done a wireless SD card, but there'd be just a little bit of set-up in network and data files as I recall. Maybe do a search for that here on AB, I've seen this discussed. Flash Air comes to mind.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 08:12 AM)Osiris357 Wrote: Sleeprider I’ve thought of switching to a WiFi card. Do you just pop it in or do you have to format it. Just want to make sure it ends up getting recorded and sent for my compliance.

First, due to the low power level and almost non-existent antenna, you will need to be within 30 feet (9-10 Meters) of your wireless access point.  If you choose to go this route, remember that all programs to download the SD card's data are written specifically for a Toshiba FlashAir SD card.  There isn't a communication standard for wireless SD cards so using another brand may or may not work.  Any memory size that is less than 64Gb will work. Just buy the most cost effective size. There are several How-To's on setup here on the board.  Holler, if you need help in finding them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Created a program to support Wifi SD card for Resmed and all other devices narual 13 2,390 12-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: JerryE
  Resmed S10 Modem and SD card gdahl 5 1,039 03-07-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR mobile app David Clark 14 6,823 12-24-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: withtao
Idea Time Zones, and Clock Skews, and Poorly Designed Devices, Oh My! 0xdec0ded 8 1,092 05-09-2022, 10:03 AM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  dialer for air sense 10 modem madmike 3 1,014 08-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  cpap info download with no SD card, external modem only confusedcpap 7 2,923 05-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: smegnl
  If I pull the modem: pros & cons? FirstNoele 13 5,952 03-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.