Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR not importing today's data
RE: OSCAR not importing today's data
There are a variety of problems associated with timestamps.  We are not going to make any overall changes until at least we redesign the database.

The root of your problem is that CPAP machines don't know about time zones, or DST either.  They just have a clock--set by the user on ResMed machines--which could be anything.  So, in principle, we have no way of knowing whether a time reported by a CPAP machine is in the future because of a clock setting problem or for some other reason such as an error in the machine.

fyi, the OSCAR database holds times internally as UTC.  They are converted on input under the assumption that the CPAP machine is reporting the local time -- which it isn't in your case.  They are converted back to local time on output, which has its own set of problems when you take your machine to a different time zone.

I will be investigating why that time check is being made and if it needs to be that persnickety.

P.S., just one of the many little timestamp issues--you are going to have real fun when the machine restarts the CPAP day at what it thinks is noon and you don't.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I was concerned that different OS's may handle time differently...  Probably Mac's are differing in some way as well.  So time untidiness continues for another generation.  Oh, well.  One would think in this modern age this time issue would have been handled more gracefully.  Platform interoperability still seems to be in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
@GuyScharf, I thought this might become messy.  There's no universally accepted method of this stuff we call time keeping, different platforms do it differently, and maybe even the Olson TZ database doesn't have the data that is needed.  There seems to be a great resistance to even the concept of utc + utc_offset without embedding DST into utc_offset.  In searching online, it seems there are people fighting this concept.  They claim it's not possible to have utc_offset without embedded DST, because nowhere on the globe does any government use it.  The claim may be true.  

However, the concept is very handy to fix CPAP/PC problems as I have simply shown.  Basically having a fixed piece of equipment with time on it, like our PAP machines, and an adaptable PC is the problem area.  The purists won't admit this real world situation exists.  But in my case, I have to deal with the issue for 180 hours a year.  Is it a good idea for software to fail because of what time it appears to be?  In rare instances, yes, it's proper, however, most of the time it is not proper behavior.

If there exists a field dst, it could be handy to reduce the problem.  Or, ignore timestamp issues altogether.  I think the latter is not a good idea in general.  Yes, it is a bit messy.

The simplest recommendation might be to instruct people to set their PAP machines when they get them to Standard Time.  Then the PC would always be either the same, or ahead of the PAP.  (Assuming no drift)  This would minimize the issue.  I may just get a spare card and back up my data and set my PAP to Standard Time...
Post Reply Post Reply
Happydreams before you use your machine after midday today go into the clinical menu and set the time back the one hour just make sure you don’t touch the date. That will be allowed than don’t touch the time ever again Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
@jaswilliams, should this be done with the SD card in the ResMed, or with no SD card in the ResMed?  At the moment (10:15) the SD is out of the machine, as I imported data to OSCAR.  So should I put it back in, and wait until at least 14:00 to do the set back?

Yes, once set to EST, I don't plan to move the time any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your good to go, so long as the time you're setting doesn't overlap with last recorded time on the card.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
fwiw, I am working on a fix to this problem and should be ready to test it in a day or two. So I would actually like you not to change the time in your machine yet so you can be available to test the fix.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
@GuyScharf, good thing I just checked here, I was about to change it!  Ok, I'll hold off to try your OSCAR change.  Let me know when it's ready and I'll build a new version!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2020, 10:17 AM)happydreams Wrote: @jaswilliams, should this be done with the SD card in the ResMed, or with no SD card in the ResMed?  At the moment (10:15) the SD is out of the machine, as I imported data to OSCAR.  So should I put it back in, and wait until at least 14:00 to do the set back?

Yes, once set to EST, I don't plan to move the time any more.

Hi happydreams,
In my experience, the Resmed Airsense machines log an "event" whenever you remove or insert the SD card, or power off the machine.  I have observed this by watching the activity LED next to the SD card slot.  Just this month, due to the end of DST I needed to set the clock back an hour to keep synched with local time.  I just left the machine sitting, powered up, and removed the SD card.  Some time later, I adjusted the time backward.  No warning message appeared, and the time adjustment was successful. 

I would be surprised if the Aircurve machines operate any differently.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
When you have done the tests for guy, As long it’s after 2pm on the CPAP leave the card in just set the time backwards by 1hr
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 77 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 88 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 223 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 107 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  OSCAR data backup strategy matt2 2 98 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.