Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Odd flow rate graph
RE: Odd flow rate graph
Well I do hope that it was just a bad dream or panic attack. The tube setting was correct I believe (set to slim tube).

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I actually realized that I had the tube setting incorrect all along. I thought I had a slim tube but it's actually a regular tube. Anyways, I'm using a heated tube from now on.

Also, I've set my minimum pressure at 6 and the average pressure is staying around 6.5 with a low AHI, but I'm still waking up feeling sleep deprived. Not as much as I would without a CPAP, but still enough to cause concern for me. 

Could this be because of what seem like frequent arousals in my sleep? I've attached screenshots of what look like arousals to me - is it possible that they're interfering with my sleep quality? I've noticed that I feel better on higher pressures, even though I don't seem to need a higher pressure.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel better at a higher pressure, take it there. I too feel better at inhale pressures over 10. Mine is currently lucky 13.

Charts 1 and 3 depict, IMHO, RERAs,. Note the reduced flow (flow limited) followed by arousal followed by an increased flow.

Your EPR appears to be at 3, if not make it 3, with EPR on min pressure should NEVER be less than 4 + EPR to give EPR room to minimize flow Limits. In your case I'd take it to 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! So you mean I should set my minimum pressure at 8 and EPR at 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that i believe will be beneficual to you
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Could you also please tell me whether this pattern of breathing in the screenshot attached is concerning? I was testing the CPAP on my mother and this odd pattern briefly appeared and the machine increased the pressure too.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not really, it's just a long slow exhale. Inhale and exhale volumes are the same. If the exhale volume was less than the inhale it would be expiratory mouth breathing, again no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh ok, I see. Thanks very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I tried your recommended suggestions today (of 8 cm pressure and 3 EPR). It definitely seems to have improved my sleep but my sleep still feels far from perfect. I still wake up feeling quite sleep deprived. One problem since I've started CPAP is that I tend to get up after around 6 hours of sleep still feeling sleepy but not able to get back to sleep.

Looking at my flow rate graph, I can still spot some mini-arousals and I wonder if they are having any effect on therapy or if it's normal to have some arousals throughout your sleep. I noticed that I also had a number of what seem like hypopnea that the machine didn't flag (see third image).

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2021, 02:34 AM)gadgetmaniah Wrote: Hello, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I tried your recommended suggestions today (of 8 cm pressure and 3 EPR). It definitely seems to have improved my sleep but my sleep still feels far from perfect. I still don't feel like I wake up with a full night's sleep. Still feel sleepy and tired. One problem, since I've started CPAP, is that I tend to get up after around 6 hours of sleep still feeling sleepy but not able to get back to sleep.

Looking at my flow rate graph, I can still spot some mini-arousals and I wonder if they are having any effect on therapy or if it's normal to have some arousals throughout your sleep. I noticed that I also had a number of what seem like hypopnea that the machine didn't flag (see third image).

Here are some additional images. I'm not sure whether these patterns are of any concern though. Maybe they're just long exhales?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 99 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 264 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 113 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.