Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One week in+ No joy
RE: One week in+ No joy
If you are using a medium F20, perhaps try a large F20.  For the longest time I was using a medium F20 strapped on tight.  Leaks were low, but I was dealing with pain and getting a strawberry on the bridge of my nose.  Switched to a large F20 to address the strawberry.  It actually rested between my eyebrows, so I was doubtful.  Turned out to seal very well and no strawberry.  Strap tension is very low and there is no pain. My pressures range from 10 to 25 and the cushion seems to flex up and down without leaks.  Bonus:  The medium F20 was failing in thirty days due to cracks in the foam near the top of the cushion.  I am six weeks into my first large F20 with no cracks and no indication it will need replacing anytime soon.  Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
My F20 is a Large. It's the worst mask I've tried so far for leakage. It's weird; it starts out OK, then starts leaking. Tighten it a bit, works for a while, then leaks again. Repeat all night. Once it's way too tight, it just leaks all of the time. I tried it with the Mask Test mode, which skips the ramping, but it still loses it's seal after 15 minutes or so. Carefully adjusted, I got 85% leakage. I've thought about getting the inflatable seal for it to see if it does any better. (I've also thought about taking all of the equipment out to the driveway, pounding it with a sledge hammer, dousing it in gasoline, and setting it on fire.) I'm thinking about shaving my beard to see if I can get anything to work at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a large beard and at my titration some years ago they could find no mask that would seal until trying the resmed p10 nasal pillow mask. idk how difficult it is for you to breathe through your nose, or why it's difficult, but as others have said above, the nasal mask cuts through congestion like magic. only once in more than 4 years have I had congestion the p10 couldn't handle and it probably would have if I had given it more time. the problem for many of us using nasal pillows is mouth/lip leaks and there are ways to manage that. while I'd rather not wear it, I find a soft cervical collar works best for me. others use a chin strap, mouth tape or master the tongue suck technique.

you've probably seen it said here before: finding the right mask is the hardest part of this therapy. it's a pita and can be pretty darned expensive, but the only thing for it is to keep trying various masks. it's frustrating now but if you stick with it, you will solve this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I took the night off. Ahhh- I forgot how good a decent night's sleep feels! I'm going to try a nasal pillow next. I have 30 days with the supplier to exchange masks for free.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there.  Soon you find that it is far better to sleep with PAP than without it.  When I started my CPAP journey, I couldn't comprehend that.  How can wearing some unnatural contraption hanging off your face be good?  After time, and a lot of help from here on AB, my therapy is a lot better.  Now I want to use my PAP because I feel far better with it than without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also new to CPAP therapy. I've had a deviated septum for the longest time. I thought I needed a full face mask. Picked up the Vitera originally and disliked it immediately due to leakage. Picked up the ResMed F30i which was better but still gave me leaks. Last week I decided to swing by my local DME and picked up the N30i. Love it! It's actually easier to breath with the nasal and for me is super comfy.  Pick up a couple masks at a time if budget allows and see which one works best. The free returns make it easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can swap out masks for free for a couple more weeks. I'm going to try the nasal pillow next. If I can't find a mask that works, there's no point in continuing. They all leak so much that I'm not getting any benefit, and I'm losing a lot of sleep. Philips has a kit that gets good reviews, and comes with four different pillows, but it only comes in a medium frame. I know I'm going to need a large frame; I wear a size 8 hat. I can buy another frame, but why don't they package the kit with your choice of frame size instead of sticking you with a medium?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear 7 3/4 hat and medium fit fine
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Another night, another mask, another fail. I got a ResMed P30 yesterday. Seems to work OK, and didn't seem to leak at all, yet OSACR showed 31% large leaks. AHI was 16. What I don't understand is why it's showing apnea when I'm wide awake. I was awake from 2 AM to 4 AM, when I finally took it off. The only time my O2 dropped below 90% was while I was awake also. The P30 is not going to work because I can't sleep on my side with it. It feels like a piece of rope under your face. I wanted the P10, but they didn't have one. I was told that insurance only pays for ONE re-fit. I explained that I hadn't had a good fit yet. I'm going to find out where/how to file a formal complaint against this supplier; they are awful. I guess I'll start paying out of my own pocket to try to find equipment that works (if I don't quit first).
Post Reply Post Reply
PAP machines have no idea if you are asleep or not, since they have no EEG input.  Technically apnea events only occur when you are asleep.  That's their definition.  The "apnea" events that occur when you are awake really don't count.  

I can sympathize with your mask fitting woes.  It's a delicate balance between just enough tightness and the twin evils of leaking horribly or being too tight.  I'm about to try a nasal mask, and am a bit hesitant to go through this myself.  Once leaks are in control, you can optimize your therapy.  Getting to a leak free point can be difficult.  Some people have to try a lot of masks to find one that fits.

Please don't quit.  It may be hard to believe at the moment but once you get your leaks under control you can have effective therapy and the quality of your life can improve.  Stick to it, you will be glad you did.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 118 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 233 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 9 677 03-30-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 195 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 261 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 284 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 711 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.