Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One week in+ No joy
RE: One week in+ No joy
Something to realize with any CPAP, you can't expect it to record events accurately when you're awake. This is a machine for sleep therapy after all, and the sensors to determine wake vs sleep aren't included in the package.

If you'd like, share the OSCAR chart and we can see if anything can be advised on further optimization of the settings. I am a bit surprised that you'd rather give up on a new mask after only one night. Work at finding a way to make it work for you. We're here to help but there's no way to make you do it.

You can either fail by trying or fail to try. Myself, if I fail it's because I tried. I'm in about a 2 year therapy hiatus because ASV failed to work with me due to other health issues like COPD and/or Asthma. I'm still swinging at pitches, I've got a doc video chat today because I'm still trying to make it work.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need sleep; that's why I want to quit. I slept about 3 hours last night. The thing is, I didn't have any daytime symptoms of OSA. I don't snore, I wake up refreshed, have plenty of energy all day long. Now I have all of the symptoms! There are times when the cure is worse than the problem. Perhaps the worst part is that I've had zero support from the medical community. The supplier is worthless, and calls and messages to the pulmonologist have gone unanswered so far. I'm completely on my own here. It's like going for swimming lessons, and they just throw you in the deep end and yell, "Swim!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back and looked for chart in your posts and found none. You have posted for 8 days and members asked repeatedly for you to post charts and get some help. You say you are in this alone and some of the most knowledgeable people have responded but again no OSCAR?  I don’t understand, if you want help you must give them a way to help you.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the OSCAR results are meaningful with the leaks I'm getting. One night was 94%! That's why I'm frustrated; until I can find a mask that works for me, the data and therapy is pretty much meaningless.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been my self advocate the whole time, and I know it's frustrating. We still may find something in OSCAR to help. But you are right on this aspect, a leaking mask with numbers like that will ruin anyone's therapy. Whichever one resulted in that leak number is probably not going to work. Have you viewed the mask wiki and gleaned anything that helps?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be honest, I'm probably going to have to shave my beard to get good results. It's not a big woolly beard, but all of the masks seem to leak. I've gotten the leakage down by really cranking down on the mask, but then it hurts so much I can't sleep anyway. I tried a nasal pillow, but it showed a lot of leakage. I think that was from my mouth opening while I was asleep. I wore a chin strap, but there's no way that it will hold my mouth shut. All of the masks also make my mouth extremely dry, even though the humidifier uses up all of the water. Before I even get to sleep, my mouth is dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a saying about masks, tight ain't right. On pillows mask, was it mouth leaks where maybe taping can help? Maybe try ResMed P10 in this case. If there's a chance the P10 can work, I know it works with those with beards.

Even so, here's the basics, get mask type figured out, pillows nasal and then full face or hybrid. Then get cushion size right for you. Finally adjust looser. Don't rely on Mask Fit. Lie back on the bed with therapy pressure. Hold mask in place no straps just finger tension, adjust finger tension to minimize leaks and minimal disruptions, add straps to mimic the same fit and feel. Move it around a bit to see if leaks can be controllable. Run with it.

Hint: no leaks and too tight is not the goal, MINIMAL to a controlled level is fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap look at Knightsbridge Dual Band.

Dry mouth look up Xylimelts, they stick on your teeth, sorta like those Listerine breath strips is what I'm picturing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect the leaks with the P30 was from opening my mouth. It fit my nose well. No, I'm not going to tape my mouth shut!

As for tightness- I've read lots of articles about fitting a mask. I've tried completely loose, and then tightening by tiny increments. By the time the leakage is tolerable, it's very tight and painful. My nose is numb half of the next day. If the mask is uncomfortable, I only sleep a few hours, then can't back to sleep unless I take it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then the mask was probably the wrong size or not a good fit in some way. My Vitera mask is loose and didn't leak but a minimal amount. Moving it downward took care of that small amount.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 120 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 233 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 9 677 03-30-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 195 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 261 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 284 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 711 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.