Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oral Dental Appliance
RE: Oral Dental Appliance
I haven't been able to tolerate a CPAP mask of any kind so I had a custom made mouth splint made by a dental technician AU$750 about three weeks ago. I'm surprised that most of the time I can hardly feel it in my mouth. I haven't had aching jaw muscles or anything but it is pressing slightly on my gum on one side which is noticeable by morning so will get it adjusted. I would expect you will have better fit with a custom made splint than a commercial one.
One thing I was worried about was lack of data - I have severe OSA - my partner bought me a fitbit Charge 2 which measures sleep stages so this is giving me some indication. I'm going to have another sleep study with the oral splint in just before Christmas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2017, 10:34 PM)Romster Wrote: I haven't been able to tolerate a CPAP mask of any kind so I had a custom made mouth splint made by a dental technician AU$750 about three weeks ago.  I'm surprised that most of the time I can hardly feel it in my mouth.  I haven't had aching jaw muscles or anything but it is pressing slightly on my gum on one side which is noticeable by morning so will get it adjusted.  I would expect you will have better fit with a custom made splint than a commercial one.  
One thing I was worried about was lack of data - I have severe OSA - my partner bought me a fitbit Charge 2 which measures sleep stages so this is giving me some indication.  I'm going to have another sleep study with the oral splint in just before Christmas.

Yes, get it adjusted, you should not feel any discomfort on your gums. Will take 5 minutes to fix that.

A properly made and adjusted dental appliance is not uncomftable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the TAP3 oral appliance because I was sick of waiting for CPAP re diagnosis.  It's been somewhat helpful bit all-in-all, I'd give it a C+.    

It's helped with snoring and has been a bit helpful with apnea.   Easy to get used too but also, over $1000 out of pocket

Have you thought of a nasal pillow mask with a mouth piece stabilizer?
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried all kinds of nasal pillows and nasal masks. All intolerable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kryogen gives good advice re: MAD devices. I had one made a month back and am just now starting to use it. My CPAP pressure isn't enough to completely fix my apnea, and if I go further up with the pressure, I start getting more events (perhaps more central events, this happens to some people).

Read a lot on the research around oral appliances, and they DO work, if they're custom fitted and if you set them at the right level of protrusion.

Reason I had one made in the first place though, is I had a sleep endoscopy done. They found that where my airways collapse (pharyngeal area) is where an oral appliance would most likely help.
Post Reply Post Reply
My dentist warned me away from the custom made dental appliances early on in my Apnea diagnosis. He told me that the chances of jaw displacement and chronic issues resulting from bite changes after long term use were not worth it and advised me to go the machine route instead. This even though he admitted he could stand to make a LOT of money from making me one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 04:37 AM)dcg494 Wrote: Kryogen gives good advice re: MAD devices. I had one made a month back and am just now starting to use it. My CPAP pressure isn't enough to completely fix my apnea, and if I go further up with the pressure, I start getting more events (perhaps more central events, this happens to some people).

Read a lot on the research around oral appliances, and they DO work, if they're custom fitted and if you set them at the right level of protrusion.

Reason I had one made in the first place though, is I had a sleep endoscopy done. They found that where my airways collapse (pharyngeal area) is where an oral appliance would most likely help.

If your CPAP isn't fixing your Apnea then it is because the machine settings are not set up properly for you.  If you post your sleepyhead data on this forum in a separate thread (see my signature lines on how to do that) we could give you advice and I am willing to bet it would result in your Apnea being very well controlled without the need of any MAD device and the resultant risks of using them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 01:36 PM)Marillion Wrote: My dentist warned me away from the custom made dental appliances early on in my Apnea diagnosis.  He told me that the chances of jaw displacement and chronic issues resulting from bite changes after long term use were not worth it and advised me to go the machine route instead.  This even though he admitted he could stand to make a LOT of money from making me one.

(just my opinion)

(seriously, for all the talk that it requires, and the cost of the appliance itself, all the adjustments, and the recall visits, it's not a lot of money in a dental office. So your dentist probably does not know what he's talking about)

Most dentists are not seriously trained in orthodontics or apnea and so their opinion isn't worth much.
For a serious opinion you need to see a dentist that has good training in orthodontics and apnea, and there are not many.

It might on might not be a good treatment for you, it depends.

Let's say you are slightly class 2 with obstructed airway. A MAD side effect would be to slightly advance your mandible. The side effect would be a benefit. That would make you a good candidate, because it would improve your apnea, and it would improve your jaw relationship.

Just my opinion, but I'm out of this thread now, thanks. It's a cpap forum anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
My dentist specializes in orthodontics. Smile But I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 01:36 PM)Marillion Wrote: My dentist warned me away from the custom made dental appliances early on in my Apnea diagnosis.  He told me that the chances of jaw displacement and chronic issues resulting from bite changes after long term use were not worth it and advised me to go the machine route instead.  This even though he admitted he could stand to make a LOT of money from making me one.

My jaw surgeon who has done over 4,000 jaw surgeries told me the same thing. Long term, a MAD will destroy your joints & bite. My advice to someone young/fit with sleep apnea & wants to use a MAD indefinitely is to just bite the bullet and look into getting corrective jaw surgery, especially if you have other bite issues. It is a touchy subject though because dentists in my experience seem to be very passionate about MAD's, so I would also agree to disagree with someone who like MAD's.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,745 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Dental Night Guard and Sleep Apnea RER9372 3 794 06-17-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.