Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Debug Log Warning
Oscar Debug Log Warning
I got this warning today when opening Oscar:

Unable to write to debug log. You can still use the debug pane (Help/ Troubleshooting/Show Debug Pane) but the debug log will not be written to disk. 

That message did not show before this morning.
To my knowledge, nothing has changed in my system last night !

I ran the 3 following procedures:
  1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  2. sfc /scannow
  3. restart windows
The problem is still there.

I am including the ZIP file from Oscar.

What should I do next to avoid the error message ?

Last minute check.
Got this message when trying to save the error ZIP

You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. 

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar Debug Log Warning
It is not OSCAR. The last message is your answer. Either your Windows account settings have changed, or you've lost your account's security level.

Another thought; Since this is currently Tuesday, Microsoft calls it "Update Tuesday". You might have been hit by an update glitch. Have you tried rebooting?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Either your Windows account settings have changed, or you've lost your account's security level.

Don't think that's it.

I did reboot more than once.
I just rebooted again.

I opened Oscar and got the same error.

I saved some other file in the Data folder and no error message.
I tried again to have Oscar make the ZIP of the diagnostic logs.
I got the error shown in screenshot "Oscar Error2.png"

If I change the destination for the ZIP, Oscar saves it.

I checked the Data folder properties and I still have Full Control.

Although I don't like doing such, should I redo the security assignments for the Data folder?

Any other ideas?

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
I notice that the path to the file in the message is ...\OSCAR\Data... The default directory named used by OSCAR is OSCAR_Data. Assuming your user name is psode, then the default directory would be c:\Users\psode\Documents\OSCAR_Data. Are you sure the path quoted in the message is correct?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The folder Name and location are not the original ones from Oscar.

I have restructured the location to my liking when I got the machine and started using Oscar.
There was no change since then.

The name and path are correct and were working fine yesterday ???

Weird !!!

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
The logs you attached to your earlier post look normal, and the paths agree with the directories you just posted.

I suggest you start OSCAR, select Help/Troubleshooting/Show Debug Pane. The copy the contents of debug pane and attach them to a post here.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The txt file contains all that showed in the debug pane 2 minutes ago

This message edited with:

Operating system: Windows 10
    WRONG the OS is Windows 11 

Unable to delete expired log file "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.3.txt"
    I am able to delete it manually

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that's odd. The debug pane messages match the behavior you describe.

Code:
00438: Debug: AppData folder already exists, so ...
00438: Debug: Using C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data as OSCAR data folder
00697: Warning: Unable to delete expired log file "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.3.txt"
00698: Warning: Unable to rename "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.1.txt" to "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.2.txt"
00698: Warning: Unable to rotate log: "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.1.txt" exists
00698: Warning: Unable to rotate log: "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.0.txt" exists
00698: Warning: Could not open C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs/debug.txt error code 5 Access is denied.

Try deleting the entire logs directory and see if it works better after that. This looks like some kind of Windows permissions problem, so maybe deleting the files and folder will make the problem disappear when OSCAR creates them again.

The "Windows 10" vs "Windows 11" information is created by the QT development system we use. We're using an older version which may not distinguish between Windows 10 and 11. We will eventually upgrade to the latest version of QT, but there are lots of little problems we have to resolve with upgrading, and few advantages, so we have not focused effort on upgrading to the latest version of QT.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use multiple Windows accounts on your machine? If so, running OSCAR on more than one Windows account could result in permission problems.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
I am not using multiple Windows accounts.

I renamed the logs folder
Opened Oscar
No messages
New logs folder was created by Oscar

Closed Oscar and reopened.
Got message shown in "Message at Oscar start.png"

Went to Help/Troubleshooting/Create zip of OSCAR diagnostic logs
Selected "C:/Users/psode/SOMMEIL/OSCAR/Data/logs" to save the zip.
Got the message shown in "Message save ZIP .png"

I was able to save the log file "OSCAR-logs.zip" in another folder.

I copied the content of debug pane in "Debug pane.docx"

All the above files are in Files.zip included here

Hope you can find the problem and help correct it.

To repeat what I already wrote, as far as I can see, there was no change to my system from when all was working fine.
Windows does not update automatically on my laptop.  I need to take action if I want to install updates.
The last updates I did was on July 5, 2022.

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ViHealth app warning! Cuppa 4 2,233 12-21-2022, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  error building OSCAR from source: unknown warning option timpani 20 2,076 03-11-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Build errors while trying to debug OSCAR in Qt on Windows 10 [resolved, see Post #19] Scarmen 25 3,256 04-24-2020, 01:00 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Oscar Debug Report Greg Schultz 2 802 07-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  please explain debug list Inspired 1 1,139 02-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Sleep Master warning box. car54 2 1,674 09-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.