Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Has Stopped Working [resolved - see posts 58-59]
RE: Oscar Has Stopped Working
Jawone - can you save files from Word or any other program to your Documents directory? I noticed that your Documents directory has very little in it -- that's unusual. I wonder if your Documents directory is protected to block writing anything to it?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guy: I have not encountered the problem that you speak of as yet. I have my "Documents" folder configured differently. It contains a subfolder called "IMP DOCS" (important) that houses about two dozen different folders and files. I use MS "SyncToy" for all of my backups, and in this manner I can isolate the folders/files that I want backed up each day from the ones that I do not back up. My "Documents" folder is listed as "Read Only" in Properties, but I have been able to save Word,Excel, and numerous other files without a problem. The now solved issue with Oscar is still a headscratcher to me. And by the way, many thanks to you for your assistance as well. I did some reading about "Read Only" folders. I have two PC's and most all of them are toggled to Read Only. It must have originated with the start of Win 10, because I have never really payed much attention to it. It is my understanding that the "Read Only" box can be unticked to make changes to files within, and then reticked after the editing is complete. There is also a setting in Win Defender >Virus & Threat Protection> Manage Settings>Controlled Folder Access>Manage Access> Then Toggle Off/On. Apparently toggling this feature off has solved numerous problems for people grappling with "Read Only" issues. I would be happy to give you the link to this article if you are interested. 
I apologize if I have gone overboard with this post. If I put you to sleep, I hope you remembered to wear your CPAP mask!  Best regards, Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if WinDefender somehow checks if an app is 'signed' or not to allow writing to 'Read Only' folders....

What me? Paranoid? I just like being able to read the source, even if I hardly ever bother.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philip, welcome to what I would call "the false security"... Smile
What's why I prefer Linux : all is done by the kernel. All the rules are well-known.
You can find How to easily.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2020, 04:10 PM)Jawone Wrote: My "Documents" folder is listed as "Read Only" in Properties, but I have been able to save Word,Excel, and numerous other files without a problem.

Yes, but you don't save them directly in the Documents folder do you?  You save them in Documents/IMP DOCS, a folder that existed before you set Documents to read-only.  The read-only status applies only to the Documents folder itself, not to any existing subfolders.  The IMP DOCS folder is not marked read-only.  OSCAR was trying to write to the Documents folder itself to create a new folder, OSCAR_Data.  But since Documents folder was marked read-only, the attempt to create a new folder failed.

If you had specified the OSCAR folder as being Documents/IMP DOCS/OSCAR_Data, it probably would have worked well.  But, if I recall a log you sent, you had just specified Documents/IMP DOCS as the Oscar folder, and that collided with Sleepyhead data.

Perhaps OSCAR should check for the attempt to create a new folder failing and not proceed merrily on its way thinking the folder now really existed.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guy: The IMP DOCS folder is also set to read only, but not by my own doing. I did try to create the Oscar folder in that folder originally with the same result. It may be a default action of Win 10 to have all folders toggled to Read Only. Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 72 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar Quit Working stillsleepy2 19 1,119 01-11-2024, 04:59 PM
Sad Upgrade check not working [fixed in OSCAR 1.5.1] clan 1 596 09-23-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Oscar is dividing up time period [likely Auto On/Off function on CPAP, see posts 5&7] guiniviere 13 2,122 09-07-2023, 02:48 PM
  Oscar stopped recording fstbiker 1 603 06-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Question [split] Mac M1 stopped importing BestDreamYet 9 1,100 05-31-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: BestDreamYet
  unable to import data [resolved, see post #20] kappak 19 1,150 03-10-2023, 09:07 PM
Last Post: kappak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.