Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar Statistics Page - Flow Limitations?
Oscar Statistics Page - Flow Limitations?
I'm using Oscar 1.3.0 with a Resmed AS11 Auto.

For a Resmed machine, what should the Oscar "Statistics" page report regarding Flow Limitations?

My daily and overview charts show Flow Limitations (typical values Med=0, 95%=0.05, 99.5%=0.2).  Example:

However, the Flow Limitations line is entirely absent from the "Statistics" page (expected under "Therapy Efficacy"), and always shows 0.0 under the "Machine Settings".  Is this normal for a Resmed machine, given how it reports FL?  Is Oscar just using the Median value (which is always 0) for the Statistics page?  

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar Statistics Page - Flow Limitations?
The most useful flow limitations data is the 95% Flow Limitation shown on Daily Details. The median or average will nearly always show zero, and the maximum is not useful. We aim for a 95% flow limitation less than 0.1.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2021, 05:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The most useful flow limitations data is the 95% Flow Limitation shown on Daily Details.  The median or average will nearly always show zero, and the maximum is not useful.  We aim for a 95% flow limitation less than 0.1.

Understood -- which is why I asked the question.  I'm finding it strange Oscar isn't reporting it (or reporting it as 0) on the Statistics page.   

I previously saw values there when using the Respironics, but of course that's a different sort of data ("events" reported by PR, as opposed to 2s values from Resmed).

I'm thinking I'd like to see the 95% value on the Statistics page.  But since different machines report this differently, maybe that's a can-o-worms for the programmers?
Post Reply Post Reply
I completely agree with you and have discussed using the 95% FL value in statistics with the developers of Oscar. I also think that the program should look at the 2% and 5% exceedance value for SpO2 where oxygen is monitored. The development team is coming along in expertise with what is important in therapy statistics, but historically they are programmers and software experts, and are conservative in changing the program outputs and of course the changes have to be prioritized to solve bigger problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2021, 09:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I completely agree with you and have discussed using the 95% FL value in statistics with the developers of Oscar.  I also think that the program should look at the 2% and 5% exceedance value for SpO2 where oxygen is monitored. 

I've added these items to the suggestion list we are keeping for the next release.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2021, 09:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I completely agree with you and have discussed using the 95% FL value in statistics with the developers of Oscar.

I'd like to clarify which flow limitation value you are interested in, and where displayed. PR machines report FL as events, so OSCAR reports FL as an index. This is the number that shows up in the Therapy Efficacy section and in the Changes to Machine Settings.

ResMed machines report flow limitations as a graph. This does not show up at all in the Therapy Efficacy section and is always 0.0 in the Changes in Machine Settings table.

DeVilbiss machines report events and OSCAR shows an index and also reformats this as a flow graph. However, the flow data on the Statistics page is clearly wrong so let's just ignore that for now -- I will have to fix something here.

Now, exactly what would you like to see for machines that report FL as a graph (ResMed), and those that report FL as events (PR and others)?
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you looking for something like this for ResMed machines?

Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I think that is what I would like to see for Resmed if it is possible — a 95% flow limitation row, and also an average in the FL column of each machine settings line.

But as I said above, I realize there are significant challenges in making that page appropriate for all machines when similar data is reported entirely differently on various machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2021, 10:33 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: Yes, I think that is what I would like to see for Resmed if it is possible — a 95% flow limitation row, and also an average in the FL column of each machine settings line.

95% for the Therapy Efficacy section, but Average for the FL column? Does Average even mean much for this graph?
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
No, not a straight average…. My thought for the machine settings row FL value was an average of the daily 95% values from the days to which that settings row applied.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar question - flow rate graph not showing kkjacks 7 108 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Intellipap web page Thanassis 2 281 02-25-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  OSCAR inconsistency between Lowenstein Obstruction Levels / Flow Limitations? WisNaeMe 8 858 02-18-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Mask Brand and Type on Oscar summary page douglaskeene 2 287 02-11-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: douglaskeene
  Flow Rate and Mask pressure missing BuzzaJim 9 529 01-30-2024, 03:55 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
Question Statistics page, changes to device settings area, FL always shows 0.00? DancesWithCats 1 284 01-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  95% flow limitationm goodn 2 520 11-24-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.