Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar freezes on start following Win 11 update
Oscar freezes on start following Win 11 update
Yesterday after a windows update the previous evening Oscar froze during the initial attempt to open it. All other of my usual apps appeared to work correctly although the display settings of windows had changed noticeably. After rebooting the PC and reinstalling Oscar the problem persisted. After much fiddling I reluctantly decided to restore the windows version to the last restore point. After many anxious minutes it restarted and Oscar now works as expected. Has anyone else experienced this problem. I am a little concerned about installing future Windows updates.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar freezes on start following Win 11 update
This is just a guess, but a video driver could cause a problem as you described. If this occurs again, try holding the <SHIFT> key when starting OSCAR. Each time you start OSCAR while holding down the <SHIFT> key toggles OSCAR to change its video driver type.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Red, your explanation makes sense. I will try your suggestion the next time the problem occurs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something similar happened in my Win11 VM after that update. Also had some unwanted changes in appearance (easy enough to change). But the first app I ran (not OSCAR) hung, even got the dreaded "App not responding". I let it sit for ~10 minutes and it started working on it's own. Now every app seems to be working as expected. My guess is that the update was still cleaning up after itself long after it said it was done.

I just checked my copy of OSCAR and it is still using OpenGL and is working as expected. YMMV with the update....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well my problem has returned after last night's Windows 11 update. I tried holding down the shift button while starting the Oscar but it still froze. I use a 31" LG monitor set to the recommended 1920 x 1080 resolution. I really do not want to again restore the windows back to my previous version. Does anyone have any possible fixes. All my other usual apps appear to work normally with minor display changes noticeable.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem was resolved by changing the Oscar graphics to OpenGL apparently it had been changed to "software engine" during the latest Windows update.
Post Reply Post Reply
thats wild
nice you figured it out though
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Editing session start/end times within OSCAR jas102543 6 1,582 03-12-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: j12251225
  Will an OSCAR update ever be released? guzzle 3 173 03-07-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar doesn't update settings kappak 1 280 01-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar Update? Fixit50 7 551 01-12-2024, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Fixit50
  How do I update my weight in Oscar alexwatt 2 432 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: alexwatt
Information Resvent iMatrix Software & Firmware Update for iBreeze machines SuperSleeper 1 1,311 10-13-2023, 08:16 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Gross SpO2 Assistant Unable To Start Correctly Merlin309 0 461 09-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Merlin309

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.