Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar screenshot. Can anyone advise whats next?
RE: Oscar screenshot. Can anyone advise whats next?
WHOA dude!!!

That is some amazing extended sustained flow limit you managed to produce there! (a 95th percentile FL of 0.66 -- just wow.)

Zoom in on the flow rate curve between about 1/4-past and 3/4-past midnight -- from the zoomed out it looks like you are in the range of hypopnea there!

(If you right-click on the y-axis of the flow-rate curve you can override the curve limits. Over that 30-minute time span the curve is really tight. If you zoom in vertically as well as horizontally you can get a much better idea of how squished that really was.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2021, 11:32 PM)cathyf Wrote: WHOA dude!!!

That is some amazing extended sustained flow limit you managed to produce there! (a 95th percentile FL of 0.66 -- just wow.)

Zoom in on the flow rate curve between about 1/4-past and 3/4-past midnight -- from the zoomed out it looks like you are in the range of hypopnea there!

(If you right-click on the y-axis of the flow-rate curve you can override the curve limits. Over that 30-minute time span the curve is really tight. If you zoom in vertically as well as horizontally you can get a much better idea of how squished that really was.)

Sorry, I am not exactly sure what flow limit actually means...  Can explain it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are literally limits to your airflow, I think at about 50% restricted, or half an Apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any advice what to do about that? Pressure back up slightly? Related to EPR?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it would be pressure and EPR related. If tolerated, EPR to 3 may help some.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2021, 01:53 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Yes, it would be pressure and EPR related. If tolerated, EPR to 3 may help some.

I've actually been trying to reduce my EPR actually.  When zooming in to mask pressure, for a couple of previous nights (at EPR 3), I noticed that the mask pressure was low (exhale pressure) at the onset of each OSA.  
As I am trying to reduce pressure overall to reduce aerophagia and gerd, I thought that by decreasing my EPR, I could then be increasing the exhale pressure, but at the same time being able to lower the max pressure.

In this case, if I were to bring EPR back to 3, would the exhale pressure drop too low?  Or should I just bump up my max pressure slightly first?
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the flow Limitation was due to positional apnea.  Look at the time in your FL graph around 24:00 and line it up with the clump of Obstructives you had.  You probably were tucking your chin to your chest and this in turn cuts off your air.  It happens occasionally, but if it continues, you may want to consider a flatter pillow that doesn't allow your head to tuck down or check into a soft cervical collar.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

As far as pressure settings go.... your main concern was Gerd and swallowing air.  That's important to conquer right now for comfort. Lower pressures help, plus the use of EPR.  You have to find a happy medium between no Aerophagia, and an AHI that isn't too high.  You probably won't have both... it's a balancing act... sort of.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2021, 09:42 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I believe the flow Limitation was due to positional apnea.  Look at the time in your FL graph around 24:00 and line it up with the clump of Obstructives you had.  You probably were tucking your chin to your chest and this in turn cuts off your air.  It happens occasionally, but if it continues, you may want to consider a flatter pillow that doesn't allow your head to tuck down or check into a soft cervical collar.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

As far as pressure settings go.... your main concern was Gerd and swallowing air.  That's important to conquer right now for comfort. Lower pressures help, plus the use of EPR.  You have to find a happy medium between no Aerophagia, and an AHI that isn't too high.  You probably won't have both... it's a balancing act... sort of.

Thank you.  I'll keep an eye out for this FL now that I know what it is.
And thanks also for the advice on the pressure.  I went back up slightly last night, but no chance to look at the data yet, cos it's the weekend and the small devil at home totally demands all my attention when I'm not working.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal nailed it. See the cluster of obstructive events just after midnight. That is the primary indicator. I think you were so severely flow limited that you established a new (ab)normal. I'd like to see another nights data to if it is a recurring issue.

I'll describe normal as breathing thru a snorkel
Flow limited as breathing thru a straw
You were breathing thru a mixed drink storing straw, for so long that your machine thought it was normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2021, 07:41 AM)Gideon Wrote: Opal nailed it.  See the cluster of obstructive events just after midnight. That is the primary indicator.  I think you were so severely flow limited that you established a new (ab)normal.  I'd like to see another nights data to if it is a recurring issue.

I'll describe normal as breathing thru a snorkel
Flow limited as breathing thru a straw
You were breathing thru a mixed drink storing straw, for so long that your machine thought it was normal.

That sounds scary...
Here's last nights data.

I was thinking of putting it back to EPR 3.  What do you think?  Or do I need more max pressure?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 226 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 427 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 310 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,169 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 523 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 732 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Jojo07 Therapy: Whats going on with my flow rate? jojo07 6 733 09-24-2023, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.