Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar to an older computer
Oscar to an older computer
I would like to install the OSCAR software on a 32-bit Windows XP machine. Does any older version have XP support? Is a Linux (Ubundu) version coming soon in 32-bit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar to an older computer
Hi EeVee! - Welcome

Have you tried the 32-bit version of OSCAR for Windows? The problem you are facing is that the current software development platforms have been dropping their support for 32-bit platforms.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crimson, thanks for your reply!

Yes, I tried to install the available 32-bit version, but unfortunately I received an error message that it is not a valid Win32 application.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR supports Windows 7 and later but not Windows XP.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2020, 04:53 PM)EeVee Wrote: Is a Linux (Ubundu) version coming soon in 32-bit?

I think it's Ubuntu ad not Ubundu what you are talking about.
The last versions of Ubuntu are only in 64 bit.
I think there are 32 bit versions of 18.04 for the ones which have a 32 bit computer but it will be probably the last one.

You cannot put a ubuntu package on a Windows XP. Depending of CPU and amount of RAM, you can install ubuntu but with a light GUI : Lubuntu or maybe Xubuntu.Then, you can install Oscar either from sources ou is someone makes a 32 bit deb package for you.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
"The current version of OSCAR is 1.2.0.  We recommend upgrading from any earlier version."

I cannot run 1.2.0. My Mac is stuck at 10.11.6. (It's early 2008.)

What do you recommend?

Thanks, Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR 1.2.0 requires macOS 10.12 or higher, so you may need to look into upgrading your computer.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a little background to Jeff's reply might be in order.

SleepyHead development was started back in 2011, using QT 4.x as the base package. Over the years, as QT was developed, SleepyHead moved with it. When OSCAR started development, based on the then current version of SleepyHead, the QT version requirement was 5.6, or 5.7, based on what was available in the Debian 9 distribution.

For Macs, the requirement was based on the version of X-Code available for current Macs, and which version of QT was supported by it.
If you can find a version of X-Code which runs on your old machine, and it supports QT 5.7, you may be able to compile and build your on OSCAR. A long time ago, I found a chart which contained all that, but I can't remember where I found it, whether it was a Mac or QT web site - sorry.

As you can see, it won't be a simple process, and you will be mostly on your own. Having an old Mac sucks - I gave up on my mid-2007 when the second set of batteries started bulging.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2020, 12:54 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: OSCAR 1.2.0 requires macOS 10.12 or higher, so you may need to look into upgrading your computer.

Thanks Jeff. I can't afford to buy a new Mac. The hardware will run for a long time yet.

myAir doesn't give enough details to see if it's believable. Is "usage hours" just when the
blower is on? If so, it's useless. (I'll look for existing threads on this.)

Harv

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2020, 04:12 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I think a little background to Jeff's reply might be in order.

SleepyHead development was started back in 2011, using QT 4.x as the base package.  Over the years, as QT was developed, SleepyHead moved with it. When OSCAR started development, based on the  then current version of SleepyHead, the QT version requirement was 5.6, or 5.7, based on what was available in the Debian 9 distribution.

For Macs, the requirement was based on the version of X-Code available for current Macs, and which version of QT was supported by it.
If you can find a version of X-Code which runs on your old machine, and it supports QT 5.7, you may be able to compile and build your on OSCAR. A long time ago, I found a chart which contained all that, but I can't remember where I found it, whether it was a Mac or QT web site - sorry.

As you can see, it won't be a simple process, and you will be mostly on your own. Having an old Mac sucks - I gave up on my mid-2007 when the second set of batteries started bulging.

Thanks, pholynyk.

Don't want to go through that business. Saw what was involved for an editor I liked, but was behind the OS for that too.

I'm running an old Mac Pro (the cheese grater front) set up for a tech writing business I started after forced retirement.
Other than the software issue(s), the machine just keeps running. Can't afford a new one.

Not sure I need the detail OSCAR provides. My question is, is myAir telling the truth? Will try to find out.

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 232 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Are older versions of OSCAR available to download? leonking 0 297 11-23-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: leonking
Exclaimation Import CSV from computer KK7X 2 546 10-29-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: KK7X
  Coexistence of software versions on the same pc computer Dzidzia 2 556 07-31-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Dzidzia
  Older Airsense 10 CPAP Geeksquadofun 6 832 05-20-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question MADE USER NAME CHANGE TO MY COMPUTER: NEED HELP WITH OSCAR ERROR MESSAGE Plmnb 8 901 04-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Running 2 Oscar on same computer DanEm 8 718 01-20-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: DanEm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.