Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar upgrade not working in Windows 10
Oscar upgrade not working in Windows 10
Hi,
Tried to install Oscar upgrade and am running into problems. At first I couldn't open it at all -- kept getting a warning about making a backup that ran off the screen and wouldn't scroll.  I couldn't figure out how to do the backup but figured I would just reimport so made a new profile. Now the program opens with this screen but won't let me do anything -- doesn't respond to any clicks.

I tried going back to the old version but it can't use the new data. So I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Running Windows 10 on a Surface Book 2.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar upgrade not working in Windows 10
I'm guessing here, but it would appear that OSCAR doesn't know where its data file is located. Do you have it in its normal location, (My Documents\OSCAR_Data), or do you have it somewhere else?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually tried starting from scratch, with no data files -- letting the program build them. But the problem remains. . .
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2020, 12:20 PM)bemused Wrote: Running Windows 10 on a Surface Book 2.

What is your screen resolution?  (height and width in pixels)  Are your fonts scaled up from the default?

Do you have any problems with the older version of OSCAR?

When you say the upgrade message "ran off the screen," do you mean you could not see the bottom of the dialog and could not bring it into view?  You could just press Enterr key and the default response of "ok to upgrade" would be accepted.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2020, 03:21 PM)GuyScharf Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 12:20 PM)bemused Wrote: Running Windows 10 on a Surface Book 2.

What is your screen resolution?  (height and width in pixels)  Are your fonts scaled up from the default?

Do you have any problems with the older version of OSCAR?

When you say the upgrade message "ran off the screen," do you mean you could not see the bottom of the dialog and could not bring it into view?  You could just press Enterr key and the default response of "ok to upgrade" would be accepted.

Screen resolution is 3000 x 2000, which is the recommended one.  The font size is 250%. I do seem to remember having some display issues with the older version of OSCAR -- but that has uninstalled and I can't get it back anyway.
Yes, the upgrade message ran off the screen. I did press Enter and it took me to the profile page which didn't respond to any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please see the Oscar trouble shooting help page about high DPI windows: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...leshooting.  This will tell you how to change the high DPI scaling behavior to make Oscar work better with your video configuration.

Please let us know if that solves your problem!
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Took me a while to find out how to do the override in Windows 10. No, sadly, didn't solve it. Any other thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the screen capture you posted in your first message suggests that OSCAR found your profile, selected it as current, but hasn't fully opened it.  We do know of a problem with some older computers causing OSCAR to crash at this point, but you don't have a crash.  I'd like you to check two things then try the fix to the crash problem.

First, open the Task Manager (right click on task bar, select Task Manager) and see if OSCAR is using any CPU time.  Let me know what you find.

Second, does OSCAR respond to any clicks at all?  If it will respond to Help/Trouble Shooting/Show Debug Pane, do that, right click on the debug pane, Ctrl-A to select all, then paste the clipboard into a post so I can see the debug log.

OSCAR has three different graphics drivers it can use, and some older video drivers don't support the latest graphics modes.  To work around this problem, press and hold down the SHIFT key when you start OSCAR.  Keep the shift key pressed until the first window opens.  Does OSCAR work now?  If so, the problem is related to the video driver and holding the SHIFT key down when starting OSCAR tells it needs to use a different graphics engine.  (You don't need to do this again; OSCAR remembers that it needs to use the software graphics engine and not rely on the graphics hardware as much.)

Let me know what happens.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2020, 04:42 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: First, open the Task Manager (right click on task bar, select Task Manager) and see if OSCAR is using any CPU time.  Let me know what you find.

Task manager says it is using 87.4 MB of memory, but no CPU time.

Second, does OSCAR respond to any clicks at all?  If it will respond to Help/Trouble Shooting/Show Debug Pane, do that, right click on the debug pane, Ctrl-A to select all, then paste the clipboard into a post so I can see the debug log.

It doesn't respond to any clicks, and the four menu options are greyed out. But when I clicked on help I could select troubleshooting and debug pane, but nothing changed on the screen. So I minimized the screen thinking it might show -- it didn't until I clicked on Oscar in the taskbar, then I get a blank screen, thus:

OSCAR has three different graphics drivers it can use, and some older video drivers don't support the latest graphics modes.  To work around this problem, press and hold down the SHIFT key when you start OSCAR.  Keep the shift key pressed until the first window opens.  Does OSCAR work now?  If so, the problem is related to the video driver and holding the SHIFT key down when starting OSCAR tells it needs to use a different graphics engine.  (You don't need to do this again; OSCAR remembers that it needs to use the software graphics engine and not rely on the graphics hardware as much.)

No change when I use shift key.

Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
So I think I may have been misrepresenting the problem. I tried importing the data from the SD card, and the import supposedly worked, but I can't get to any data because it's not recognizing my profile. It let me create one but it is still showing no profile -- and won't let me select New Profile again. But I can select Edit Profile from the File menu and edit it.

Weird. So the issue is that it is not recognizing the profile I created. Not a display problem (though that may come later).

Sorry for the confusion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 76 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,385 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
  Data Files in an upgrade AlanR 2 85 03-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: AlanR
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 310 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Oscar Quit Working stillsleepy2 19 1,119 01-11-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  AirSense 10 LTE upgrade SGKent 5 645 01-07-2024, 11:52 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  OSCAR 1.5.1 Windows 10 sleeper2460 2 747 11-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.