Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oximeters-Target Results and Do you really get what you pay for?
RE: Oximeters-Target Results and Do you really get what you pay for?
I did not find the oximeter useful. I was not worried about my average O2 being too low. Instead, I was trying to figure out how important (worrisome) my episodes of CA were. I suspect my apnea episodes were too brief to noticeably affect the O2 level at the fingertip, but I don’t think that's especially reassuring that they weren’t stressing my heart.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 05:17 AM)beet Wrote: I recommend the CMS-50I over the 50F.  Advantages:
(1) Sharper display.
(2) Clock (50F has no clock at all). 50I saves the start time with each measurement, which is useful to correlate with Sleepyhead data.
(3) Perfusion index, a measure of the strength and reliability of the reading, is recorded for each data sample and is displayed during the recording, so you can adjust the finger sleeve to improve the signal strength.  I found it difficult to achieve a consistently high signal, but at least it's good to have this feedback.
(4) It can save multiple recording sessions, although this is of limited value since you have to recharge it after 10 or 12 hours of recording.

The catch is that there is no US distributor, so you can only buy it from Alibaba.  I found their service surprisingly good.

This is probably a dumb question....but why not just get an oximetry adapter cable and plug that into the Resmed Airsense 10??  Wouldn't the machine be able to keep track of oxygen levels for you thereby not necessitating the purchase of a more expensive stand alone item like the CMS-50I?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did a search and found this on the other Apnea forum posted by Palerider:

a hugely better alternative is to buy a cms50i from aliexpress.com for under 100$, and sync the data with sleepyhead.

benefits of the 'official' oximeter:
the data is recorded on the sd card and synced with your cpap data.
would show it's data in resscan, (if you're masochistic Smile)

benefits of the cms50i:
no cord to get tangled up in.
1/10th the cost
offers perfusion index chart.
records whether the cpap is running or not.
time and date stamped multi session capable.

things they both do
collect pulse and Spo2 data.
allow data to show up in sleepyhead sync'd with your cpap data.

There's my answer. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the connection is proprietary for the Airsense. The Resmed oximeter is very pricey, too. It may have more accuracy

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Just returned the NONIN BP/SpO2 back to my dme after a week of use today. To sell me a complete setup to use on my ResMed A10 Autoset was in the $950 range. He's NOT gonna order me one. Bad enough I gotta sleep with a hose pipe much less a cable to. But it did the job that he was looking for and that was to see if my oxygen levels where dropping at night or not. I don't use one at night but do check it when I wake in morning sometimeso with a fingertip style with no recorder.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used Torontek-b400 Wristband oximeter- Is very accurate +/- 1% margin of error. The device is superb as the software allows you to generate reports. the only downside is that the software is for Windows based systems as of now as I called the manufacturer in Canada. I find the device very appropriate for measuring oxygen during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as accuracy the ones I have are spot on. I have two cheap plastic finger oximeters and a CMS50F recording oximeter.

When I was in the hospital I tested one of my cheap oximeters with the monitor the hospital was using. It read exactly the same.

I tested at home with both the other cheap oximeter and the CMS50F and they all read the same.

I went to see a Pomologist to get checked and he used the same type cheap oximeter I had.

If you want one just to take to the gym I'd get a cheap oximeter. They're small and usually come with a strap so you can hang it around your neck.

If you want one to record during the night the CMS50F has worked well for me.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just like the blood sugar monitors, the oxygen monitors are really good and cost much less than they did some years ago. If you are using it at the gym, your needs aren't the same. With the D model, you'd have to tape it to your finger to keep it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a CMS50FF, (note the double FF) Ver:3.5

This has 2 connections, a barrel to finger stall and a Mini USB, it is fully recording and can be connected directly to a computer for continual monitoring, ..

It has a clock which I have synced with my computer, its limitation is that it only has a 24hr window and then overwrites the old data.

The CMS50FF, is fully compatible with SH

Since I only use it once/twice a month to monitor my SPO2, 24hrs is beyond my requirements..

Besides being a hose head, I have Lupus and Leukemia, (lots of smudge cell)..

... Philip
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 130 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.