Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen Concentrator [while traveling]
Oxygen Concentrator [while traveling]
I will be traveling for the holidays no problem taking my cpap. 
I've been on cpap for 5 years on oxygen for 3 months will be gone 4 days how has others handled this problem. 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen Concentrator
A lot depends on where your traveling to and how your traveling. If by plane the easiest way would be to rent one where your traveling to.
If by car than just load up the one you have and bring it with you. The need for steady flow O2 with CPAP limits your choices.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to Atlanta by plane.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would google Atlanta and oxygen supplies. There are several to pick from. Call ahead and see if you can have them deliver it to where your staying. You'll probably need to fax them a copy of your prescription also.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME may have an outlet at your destination. Also your supplier may rent a portable oxygen concentrator for travel. If traveling by air, approved portable oxygen concentrators are allowed, however some airlines require prior notice. All publish requirements online. If you travel frequently a POC may be something you want to buy. You may be able to use compressed liquid oxygen for uses like this, but I don't know if the canisters can be transported by air.

Airlines are allowed to carry a passenger's oxygen cylinder in the aircraft cabin in accordance with 49 CFR 175.501(e) but the passenger cannot use it. However, because a special overpack, written pilot notification, and additional hazmat training and manual documentation are required, most (if not all) U.S. airlines do not offer this service. Check with your airline before planning on carrying your own oxygen cylinder to your destination.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen Concentrator [while traveling]
It's been 10 years since I flew last, my DME provided a travel size O2 concentrator that fit into my carry on luggage. At that time having the machine slowed down my security process and today that would be more complicated or maybe not allowed. For a four day trip your doctor may give you the ok to skip O2. When traveling by car I do not take my O2 concentrator into the hotel for a one night stopover but I do take it in for two or more nights or for consecutive nights at different locations. Always take along an extension cord and one of the cubes that allow more than one device to plug in to a wall receptacle.

If you or your doctor rule out skipping four nights see if your DME can handle setting you up for O2 at your destination. Depending on the cost, you may want to see if your insurance will cover all or part. 

It's good that you are looking into this ahead of time. Wishing you a very enjoyable trip.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleeprider mentions, contact your DME first. My late Dad's DME arranged for a concentrator in Florida when he went to visit my brother. They set it up the same day he arrived. In his case, he didn't even have to pay extra - insurance covered it (arranged between DMEs apparently). Medicare and his supplemental covered 100% of his oxygen needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 682 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 358 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 532 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,065 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 418 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.