Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen concentrator
Oxygen concentrator
Has anyone used one of these?  My understanding is that The machine will filter out nitrogen and other molecules.  This effectively raises the oxygen concentration in a room. 

I use a bipap and sometimes feel like my apnea’s keep me from getting enough oxygen to my brain. I’m
Wondering if using something like this could actually help some.

I’d love to hear from someone that has used one of these.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen concentrator
The first step would be wearing an Spo2 monitor overnight to get some actual numbers for o2 desaturation. But there are users on here who have CPAP therapy with additional o2
Post Reply Post Reply
Medical necessity required for a script and as well for insurance to approve would be oxygen level recorded at 89%. At least it's this way for the US as I understand it. I was told by my current RT at the Apria DME that if I'd showed that 89% at all, the pulmonary doc would issue a script for an oxygen concentrator as you're asking about.

I don't know how exactly these work, but there's some replaceable rod system or some such that "filters out" the other air components, leaving a high oxygen concentration to be piped down the tube and cannula. Companies like Respironics, ResMed, Inogen were a few good product names in my research. There's 2 size groups that are popular. There's a large stationary home type and the other is called portable. The portable ones can be battery powered to permit operation while mobile.

I have yet to qualify, as my COPD hasn't gotten bad enough to drop oxygen to that necessity level. I too feel I'd benefit, but I cannot possibly self fund. This represents a brief idea about these machines per my personal research.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for thoughts.  I don’t think I medically qualify for any insurance but am considering purchasing one if there is any benefit.  I have a relative that uses one that filters air in a room and “concentrates” oxygen by filtering the other air components out (nitrogen I think).

I am wondering if benefits exist for someone like me or if the effects are so minor that it’s a waste of money. 

It seems like it couldn’t hurt anything, but I’m a little cautious bc most of these I’ve seen are manufactured out of China. 

Thanks for any info about these.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of my research info came from the Oxygen Concentrator Store if that helps. Google the name to find them and to get specific info.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm currently on medically prescribed supplemental O2 as of March 2019. It's not something you want to add to your routine because you "feel" Oxygen-starved.

The machines are costly and noisy. My rental Oxygen concentrator is parked in an adjacent bedroom and connected by about 10 Meters of tubing to a port adapter at the mask end of the tubing. It's another medically necessary piece of hardware added to my life.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 358 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 527 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,062 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 418 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.