Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oxygen concentrator in a cabin/power requirements
Cool 
Oxygen concentrator in a cabin/power requirements
Hello!  I am looking for some advice re minimum power requirements for an O2 concentrator.  I presently use APAP and am borderline for supplemental O2 at night where I live at 7000 ft in altitude.  My family has a cabin at 9000 ft where I would like to stay overnight, but its only power is a solar panel/golf cart battery set up that barely works the K-cup machine.  So, I am committed to buy a power station battery to use both there and as backup for power outages at home for the APAP, but from what I can glean from my research oxygen concentrators are power hogs.   Huh

The O2 concentrators I have are a Respironics Everflo and a Caire Freestyle Comfort portable (the latter I inherited from my mom who needed O2 during the day, and I think it only pulses).  At least at 7000 ft my O2 requirements are minimal - maybe 1 liter - but I have not tried 9000 ft yet.  

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen concentrator in a cabin/power requirements
My wife has a DeVilbiss stationery oxygen concentrator and the owners manual says that the unit uses 275 Watts @ 1 .2 LPM & below, and 310 watts as an overall average. I would assume that if power usage is nigher if you are using 4-5 LPM. It may be worthwhile to contact the manufacturer and ask for power requirements at various whole-number settings. That may provide some data that will be significant when you purchase a backup batter.

Another idea: the folks at the Oxygen Concentrator Store (you can guess the URL but I can't post it here) may be of help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestion! I will get in touch with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a follow-up, I took your advice and purchased a used Respironics SimplyGo from them. It was an excellent experience. I love the unit's portability and the solar panel seem to handle it easily. From my research, it does appear that the power usage is dependent on the flow rate and seems fairly consistent across machines
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fish. It was my guess that power requirements would be pretty consistent across machines, but then again I am not an engineer and I don't have a good understanding of physics. Glad it worked for you. We have a cabin too and having another concentrator would mean this 7 year old guy wouldn't have to schlepp a concentrator from home to cabin and back. Maybe a used Respironics Simply Go would be a good idea. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 356 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.