Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wcsleep - Therapy Thread
RE: Oxygen saturation high, AHI high?
Is there any way you can convince your friend to try OSCAR? We're going to need more info, data on what's going on during sleep sessions. I'm somewhat having an impression that Central Apnea events might impact oxygen rates less than Obstructive. Even so it's hard to tell what may be happening.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen saturation high, AHI high?
My first thought was that lots of short apnea events might drive up the AHI without driving down the O2sat. Upon further thought I realized that 90% O2sat is actually borderline dangerously low.

And of course I would recommend getting some OSCAR charts so that more experienced people here can make some recommendations.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
New to BiPap
I had been using APAP for several years. My AHIs have always been below 5 but never very low. My sleep tends to not be refreshing. I was switched to bipap because it appeared to my sleep tech consultant that I was not getting enough pressure. However, increasing pressure was uncomfortable (cheeks puffing out, aerophagia) so we are trying bipap. 
I was told that I have a large number of leaks so I am taping my mouth now. I see that I have mostly CAs- I don know if these are artifacts or if I need to change pressure. 
Any help would be appreciated. I am at a loss.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to BiPap
Results and settings look pretty good, but we can improve with a simple adjustment. Change trigger sensitivity from medium to high and that should cut CA events in half. The cluster of obstructive events is a common indicator of positional apnea or chin-tucking. It happens when you sleep in a position that bends and partially or fully obstructs the airway. Our Optimizing Therapy wiki discusses. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea I don't think you need to use a soft cervical collar as we sometimes recommend with a more severe problem, but awareness that extra pillows or sleeping in a way that causes the head to tilt forward can be an issue.

It may help to move from VPAP-S to Vauto mode and allow a little bit of pressure rise when obstruction occurs. If you do that, just set mode to Vauto with EPAP min 6.0, IPAP max 12.0 and PS 4.0 with trigger sensitivity High.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I will make these adjustments tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2022, 11:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Results and settings look pretty good, but we can improve with a simple adjustment. Change trigger sensitivity from medium to high and that should cut CA events in half.  The cluster of obstructive events is a common indicator of positional apnea or chin-tucking.  It happens when you sleep in a position that bends and partially or fully obstructs the airway.  Our Optimizing Therapy wiki discusses. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea  I don't think you need to use a soft cervical collar as we sometimes recommend with a more severe problem, but awareness that extra pillows or sleeping in a way that causes the head to tilt forward can be an issue.

It may help to move from VPAP-S to Vauto mode and allow a little bit of pressure rise when obstruction occurs.  If you do that, just set mode to Vauto with EPAP min 6.0, IPAP max 12.0 and PS 4.0 with trigger sensitivity High.

I changed the trigger sensitivity to high and still have a lot of CAs. Thoughts?
I will move from S to Vauto as you suggested tonight; I wanted to make one change at a time.
I am a back sleeper and use a very flat pillow...I am trying to understand where the chin tucking happens.
Thank you for your help- its difficult out here!
Post Reply Post Reply
My attachment did not seem to show up in my previous post
Post Reply Post Reply

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to BiPap need advice please

I have changed the trigger setting as suggested to high. I have had two nights that way and still a lot of CAs. 
I really would be appreciative of some thoughts and advice about this. 

A happy and healthy New Year to all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's cut PS to 3.0 and see if that helps address some of the CA. The normal solution for the OA events is a higher EPAP pressure, so you either need to move that to 7.0. If in VPAP S mode, try EPAP 7, IPAP 10. If in Vauto mode, you can use EPAP min 6.0, IPAP max 11.0, PS 3. Trigger high or very-high. Using Vauto mode will let us see the flow limitation that does not show up in VPAP S mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 52 725 3 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 36 988 5 hours ago
Last Post: MaggieL
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 59 1,018 5 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 473 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 486 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 801 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,949 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.