Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ozone Machine
Ozone Machine
Okay everyone, ResMed is saying no to ozoning your machine, but you can still ozone your watertub, air hose, mask and other things.  

Here's the warning:  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...E-MACHINES

I bought a small ozone machine and have been using it in a sealed tub (seal is important).  The device runs 25 minutes and you let it sit for two hours.  Ozone machine is less than $30.00 and puts out 30mg/h of ozone.  I am pleased.  It kills bacteria, mold, mildew, and algae.  Device charges via a USB charger.  First charge took four hours and after that it was under an hour.  After the order it took just over four weeks to arrive.  

Here are the addresses:
Ozone machine: 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40001032...4c4dLlZkKG
[attachment=19667]

Here is the tub I use.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-16-Qt-...r/38345581

Notice the blue seal around the lid, NOT the four blue snaps.  You need the seal to keep the ozone from leaking out.  I had to order this tub since I could not find it in any of the stores when I was looking.  This tub is 16 quarts.

So what do I put in my tub?  Airhose, humidifier tub (broken down), face mask, headgear, my CPAP/APAP cleaning gear that I use for water cleaning.  I still baby wipe my ResMed AirTouch F20 (do not get this wet - it ruins the foam seal).  Ozone makes everything sanitized and leave them smelling good.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ozone Machine
Resmed recommend washing with warm water and pure soap or mild detergent. That's all you need to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  And yes.  But I also have had a history of sinus and respiratory infections.  This insures my equipment is sanitized after I do the necessary water cleaning.  Ozone is good if used properly.  And properly means not putting it through the insides of one's CPAP or APAP.  

I also use ozone for my washing, that is the laundry.  Cold water washing, ozone and laundry that comes out clean and smelling clean.  The only times I have to add anything to clean the clothes is if they are heavily stained and have to use something like an Oxi something or a Spray something.

Many hospitals use ozone for their laundry.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll just stick with Dawn and warm water for cleaning my CPAP equipment. Given the concerns the EPA has on ozone exposure may potentially cause shortness of breath and other breathing problems, this COPD patient doesn't need more probable respiratory problems.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What evidence is there that that machine produces sufficient levels of ozone to kill microorganisms? In the specifications I see "Pressure Range: 4-30 cmH2O". Everything else is just statements that it's an ozone generator and CPAP cleaner. Nothing about the amount of ozone generated. There are no references to studies demonstrating that it does anything except lighten your wallet.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2020, 11:26 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'll just stick with Dawn and warm water for cleaning my CPAP equipment. Given the concerns the EPA has on ozone exposure may potentially cause shortness of breath and other breathing problems, this COPD patient doesn't need more probable respiratory problems.

I understand your concern.  Breathing ozone is not good for the lungs, it is an irritant.  That is why it should be done in a sealed tub.  Once the Ozone machine is done, one waits for two hours.  Ozone, which is O3, splits out and goes back to a safe O2.  I don't recommend sniffing the ozone machine.  But then I don't sniff gasoline, acetone, paint thinner just like I don't drink Dawn.  

By the way, I was taught early on to not use Dawn or Ajax soaps for cleaning my CPAP/APAP since these are degreasers that will cause the breakdown of things, including the mask.  That information was given to me by a CPAP technician who works for the VA. 

They taught me to use Baby Shampoo and baby wipes.  However, I didn't like the smell of Baby Shampoo and switched to Aquaphor non scented baby shampoo for my things I do want to wash.  Also, it doesn't produce a lot of bubbles unless you really stir things up.  Aquaphor is more expense, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used Dawn regularly on an F20 cushion that lasted almost two years before I retired it. I think the tech, although he had good intentions, was misinformed.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've not had dish soap cause any problems in about 3 years of therapy. I'll just stick with what's worked so far. Thanks and good evening.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2020, 11:46 PM)Melman Wrote: What evidence is there that that machine produces sufficient levels of ozone to kill microorganisms? In the specifications I see "Pressure Range: 4-30 cmH2O".       Everything else is just statements that it's an ozone generator and CPAP cleaner. Nothing about the amount of ozone generated. There are no references to studies demonstrating that it does anything except lighten your wallet.

Respify, in calling them, state that their machine puts out 8mg/h ozone.  They want a  time of 1.5 hours.  Their machine  times out to allow the O3 to neutralize back to O2 for a 1.5 hour open the bag or tube time.

I looked into this deeply a few years ago.  Ozone use is bigger in Europe.  The unit I bought was from AliExpress.  It had a picture of the back side stating it put out 30mg/h.  Having said that, it only runs 25 minutes.  The rest of the two hours is for waiting for the Ozone to neutralize.

Every time lighting strikes, mammoth amounts of ozone is produced.  Fire Cleaning companies use ozone machines to neutralize smoke smells in a home.  Their machines have timers on them.  They set the timers and leave.  They return to fetch their machines after the machines have turned off and the ozone has had time to neutralize.  The sweet scent after using an ozone machine is not the ozone, but the what the ozone has done, that is, neutralize smells and clean.

(02-04-2020, 12:08 AM)Melman Wrote: I used Dawn regularly on an F20 cushion that lasted almost two years before I retired it. I think the tech, although he had good intentions, was misinformed.

Is this an AirTouch or AirFit F20??
Post Reply Post Reply
Airfit F20.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.