Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ozone smell & mask yellowing with SoClean2
Sad 
Ozone smell & mask yellowing with SoClean2
Dont-know I am having terrible ozone smell and mask cushion yellowing/discoloring issues with my SoClean2. Too-funny

Is anybody else having problems ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ozone smell & mask yellowing with SoClean2
Ozone is not something your CPAP or mask manufacturer recommends. This is an expensive invention being marketed with a lot of slick ads to solve a problem that doesn't exist, as long as you simply clean equipment as recommended. Why not ask SoClean to help with the replacement of the damaged parts?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2017, 01:04 PM)pozowich Wrote: Dont-know I am having terrible ozone smell and mask cushion yellowing/discoloring issues with my SoClean2. Too-funny

Is anybody else having problems ?

Don't know if this will help but ozone is of course is O3 & is produced when a molecule of atmospheric oxygen is is split in two creating two O1 molecules. These molecules promptly combine with the O2's to form Ozone. Electrical arcing is a common cause of splitting, so I would check or have checked your machine & electrical cables. A good trick is to place a small portable radio close to the equipment, it will soon pick up the noise of radiation from any arcing.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geoff

The SoClean unit actually generates ozone to carry out the disinfection (it's not an accidental by-product). They call it "activated oxygen" but buried deep in the FAQs it admits it is actually ozone.  http://www.soclean2.com.au/sleep-talk/do...ed-oxygen/  Of course they are at pains to distinguish "good ozone" from "bad ozone".  Huhsign

It's all spin and hype - there's no way I would trust my equipment to this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2017, 04:33 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Geoff

The SoClean unit actually generates ozone to carry out the disinfection (it's not an accidental by-product). They call it "activated oxygen" but buried deep in the FAQs it admits it is actually ozone.  http://www.soclean2.com.au/sleep-talk/do...ed-oxygen/  Of course they are at pains to distinguish "good ozone" from "bad ozone".  Huhsign

It's all spin and hype - there's no way I would trust my equipment to this machine.

I didn't know that. In any case it's hard to imagine how O3 could clean or sterilise anything. Let alone the effects generated Ozone has on the Ozone layer & its contribution to photo chemical smog. The bane of big cities & the respiration of the elderly. I would think hydrogen peroxide H2O2 would work better.
For my cleaning I use a solution of water, Chlorine, and a mild detergent
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone is used effectively for sterilization in some arenas but it does not *clean* anything. The environmental problem with the ozone layer is that it is diminishing not that it is growing. Ozone would not last long enough at the earth's surface to make it to the ozone layer anyway.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2017, 03:51 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Ozone is used effectively for sterilization in some arenas but it does not *clean* anything. The environmental problem with the ozone layer is that it is diminishing not that it is growing. Ozone would not last long enough at the earth's surface to make it to the ozone layer anyway.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Yes, true, but Ozone combines with hydrocarbon emissions, nitrous oxides (Nox) & others to form the air pollution that hangs over major cities.
Oxygen in  all it forms stimulates the growth of algae, bacteria & fungi to name a few, Chlorine is most effective steriliser in these instances.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2017, 05:04 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 03:51 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Ozone is used effectively for sterilization in some arenas but it does not *clean* anything. The environmental problem with the ozone layer is that it is diminishing not that it is growing. Ozone would not last long enough at the earth's surface to make it to the ozone layer anyway.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Yes, true, but Ozone combines with hydrocarbon emissions, nitrous oxides (Nox) & others to form the air pollution that hangs over major cities.
Oxygen in  all it forms stimulates the growth of algae, bacteria & fungi to name a few, Chlorine is most effective steriliser in these instances.

More precisely, hydrocarbons and NOx in the presence of sunlight, form ozone O3, and that is your smog.  Ozone from electrical arc in oxygen is a fairly common disinfectant used in water and wastewater, and a small-scale version of that is the SoClean. The concentrations in SoClean are so low, they must be recirculated to accumulate in a closed loop to a high enough concentration to achieve disinfection. 

I'm not a big fan of chlorine or sodium hypochlorite disinfection either.  With good cleaning practices, disinfection shouldn't be necessary, but when I feel it is, I use a food-grade phosphoric acid disinfectant called Star-San, which is odorless and tasteless.  The other popular sanitizer is Control III which is diluted benzyl ammonium chloride.   Of all the above, ozone is by far the most expensive and least effective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2017, 05:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 05:04 PM)woozie38 Wrote:

Best Regards,

PaytonA

More precisely, hydrocarbons and NOx in the presence of sunlight, form ozone O3, and that is your smog.  Ozone from electrical arc in oxygen is a fairly common disinfectant used in water and wastewater, and a small-scale version of that is the SoClean. The concentrations in SoClean are so low, they must be recirculated to accumulate in a closed loop to a high enough concentration to achieve disinfection. 

I'm not a big fan of chlorine or sodium hypochlorite disinfection either.  With good cleaning practices, disinfection shouldn't be necessary, but when I feel it is, I use a food-grade phosphoric acid disinfectant called Star-San, which is odorless and tasteless.  The other popular sanitizer is Control III which is diluted benzyl ammonium chloride.   Of all the above, ozone is by far the most expensive and least effective.
Nonetheless, chlorine is the only effective solution to water born bacteria. Bacteria is what produces odor and a quick wash with a weak chlorine solution will kill them all and make the mask smell sweet again. Chlorite, chloride all chlorine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Animal shelters may use a 1:10 dilution of chlorine bleach to water for disinfection purposes.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,526 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,205 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  NOTICE: FDA Announces Voluntary Recall of SoClean Ozone Cleaners Sleeprider 4 963 12-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,392 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.