Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

P10 Venting - has anyone fixed theirs?
P10 Venting - has anyone fixed theirs?
I don't think my P10 is venting adequately, because I'm getting headaches in my sleep and upon waking up.  I'm considering poking some holes in the vent mesh, to help it vent out the carbon dioxide so I don't rebreathe my own air.

What do you think?  Have any of you tried it?  Or have you found a solution?

Here's some background (in case you want to know more):

- I used a P10 for about a year, about a year ago.  I so very much love the headgear, the simplicity, the minimalism, etc.  

- I had to give up the P10 because I eventually couldn't keep my mouth closed, and I was waking up with headaches. I came to conclude that the mesh wasn't venting the carbon dioxide well, so I was rebreathing my own air which my body was rejecting (by opening my mouth) and hating (thus the headache).

- I did not wash my P10 masks, because I simply got lazy.  (But I did replace the pillow/cushion every 3-4 weeks.)

Recently I decided to try P10 again.  But I wanted to make sure I gave it a fair try, by trying a brand new one, with no possible build-up of dust, dirt, dried moisture, etc.  I wanted to see if I could make the P10 work for me again.  

I've been using it for about a week and a half.  I've washed the whole thing a few times.  And each night I make sure I can feel a good flow of air through the diffusers. 

And yet here I am with a headache, and feeling not great.

<sigh>

P.S. Why don't I just use *any other mask*?  The P10 is SO comfortable!  I've tried the Brevida since it has a similar headgear, but the headgear is different enough that it doesn't stay put well.  Other headgear that hits the lower head/neck, hurts my head so badly and causes me headaches.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P10 Venting - has anyone fixed theirs?
I tried poking holes and made the leak rat too excessive. Awhile back someone here posted a complete thread on this subject. He found the using a Waterpik, blasting from the outside towards the inner area cleared most obstructions. This is based on the idea that any matter would accumulate in the inner surface due to the airflow direction during its use.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found not all P10 masks vent the same. I have experienced as much as 4 liters difference between 2 masks. And, it’s not because the mask is getting old and the vent getting plugged.

Now I wonder if the mask that registered so low was actually not venting enough.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I had issues with mine and was hyperventilating because of it. I tried using my P30i instead but the extra noise partly due to venting (vents significantly more than my P10 like easily 10 times as much) was disrupting my sleep by blowing off head rest and cpap machine just making more noise to supply more air.

I cleaned it well and scrubbed with a brush and used a fishing hook and poked around in a bunch of the mesh holes making some of them a bit bigger. That helped and I am able to sleep with it again, still doesn't vent very much though compared to P30i. I believe Rcgop and think I probably got a poorly venting one. I've considered trying to make a handful of larger holes, as others said you would want to start small so as to not go too far.
Post Reply Post Reply
I scrub mine with a toothbrush and a heavy duty dish detergent. I let the dish detergent sit on it for a few minutes, then scrub and scrub inside and out. Rinse and repeat a couple of times.

One other thought, could you try a larger size pillow? Maybe it's not the exhaust but the inflow. Just a thought.

Alternatively, I recently purchased the new p30i? And I like it. Has the hose on the top
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 33 12,986 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeytime
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 210 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 289 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 633 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 711 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Bipap Pressure Support - Dynamic or Fixed microvax 6 915 02-19-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: microvax
  Benefits of Fixed Pressure?? Brazen 12 1,441 11-19-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.