Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Regarding the recent Philips PAP machine recall and the response by Philips, how likely are you to purchase Philips products in the future?
This poll is closed.
Will consider Philips PAP machines & accessories
22.56%
30 22.56%
Will consider Philips PAP accessories, but avoid Philips machines
26.32%
35 26.32%
Will avoid most or all Philips Respiratory products
51.13%
68 51.13%
Total 133 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
Question 
PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
Has the Philips Respiratory Device Recall and the Philips response for the affected users influenced your future purchase decisions of Philips respiratory products?

NOTES:

(1) Voting alone does not "bump" this thread and keep it active.  This thread poll (and others) will quickly become in-active with no actual reply comments, whether or not there are recent votes.  If you like, add a comment to keep this poll-thread current.

(2) An individual's vote preference is confidential in this poll. Only the overall results are published.

(3) Guests are not eligible to vote in polls.  Only ApneaBoard members, who are logged in, may vote in polls.

LINKS:

Philips Systems Recall: Sleep and respiratory care update | Philips

Discussion: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS | Apnea Board

DME Letter: https://www.philips.com/c-dam/b2bhc/mast...letter.pdf

DME Q&A: https://www.philips.com/c-dam/b2bhc/mast...cp.pdf.pdf 

[Image: Philips-Resp.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL]
I won't be in the market for a machine for at least another 4-5 years.  A lot can happen in 5 years.  
But for now, I would avoid Phillips Cpaps.  

I have a 60 series as a backup.  Used it for 6.5 years, but now I look at it a little warily, and don't see myself using it except in an emergency.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am overdue for a new machine. I will not consider Philips Respironics products. I purchased a used second Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto recently I have fulll coverage, and would not accept a Philips, even for free. While the recall lead to this poll, my opinions are based on the way the machines are programmed to deliver therapy and cycle from IPAP to EPAP, and the responsiveness of the algorithms to flow limitation, apnea and variable breathing. Philips machines have not changed in 20 years other than form-factor. The most recent version encrypts data to make it impossible to use in Oscar without the company cooperating with an encryption key. They do not want to support end users.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why no choice for "Hell yeah, I'm ready to buy a new PR PAP machine right now!"?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
From the last few years of reading opinions of the PR vs ResMed xPAP machines, and being an ASV user, I would not consider a PR machine for myself. I think that the Dreamstation 2 would be a reasonable choice, partly because if PR got it wrong, that would probably be the final nail in their coffin of respiratory products. However, I am not in the market either. I do think their other accessories are very good in design and workmanship, so I have no problems buying or recommending their accessories.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still in the forever loop of new machine. It won't be Respironics, I do know that. For me the recall didn't affect my machine consideration.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought (overpaid) for a DreamStation directly from my physician who performed my sleep study and diagnosed me with SA. 

Since my time of this forum, I have learned that PR don’t react to an apnea until after it’s already occurred. This really bothered me knowing I just spent a fortune on the PR. I have pursued the expert advice on this forum in hopes one day I would have a ResMed to rectify my apneas more aggressively. I don’t understand all the science behind all of it, hence my interest in learning more from the experts. 

The recall was an easy choice. Lose the money I paid for the PR and purchase what I should have been offered by my doctor in the first place…a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. 

It’s all about money. It’s money over health. 
Line the pockets of the suits. The end user is left holding an empty bag. That was me. 

Now I’ve moved on. I will never again purchase a machine made by PR. It’s ResMed from now on.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the time being, I don't plan on purchasing any PR CPAP machine or product.  But then again, I've always thought that in general, ResMed products were superior to Philips.

Not so much due to this recall, but it certainly didn't improve my opinion of Philips.

I will say that my old, pre-2007 REMstar Pro that looked sort of like a tank was built like one too.  The current DS760 I use is great, but it's supposedly under the recall, and it's sort of been "smelling" a bit to me lately, like burning metal at times over the several few weeks.  I originally chalked it up to me having COVID which altered my ability to smell stuff, but now that I'm starting to get my ability to smell back, that same metallic smell is there still.  Not sure what's going on there, so I may end up having to getting a ResMed.

So, yep, I'll be avoiding any newer PR machines for the time being.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
How does it change comparing to DS1? Previous version was not encrypted at all?
Or it is just new algorithm that has yet to be broken?
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess is the form factor changes but the algorithm likely won't. Respironics is still sporting similar algorithm for the past 3 machine generations.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,817 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,029 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 233 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.