Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine
PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine
My Mom has a BIPAP AUTO MACHINE from Philips. Am i in the right forum as the name seems to imply CPAP queries onlY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP machine
G'day ArnieSwas, welcome to Apnea Board.

Yes, this is the place to come for all discussions about apnea and all types of machine.

How can we help you?
Post Reply Post Reply
A BiPap, BiLevel, ASV are all CPAP machines, enhanced CPAP machines.

Welcome to the forum.

We really prefer to provide advice based on data, so please download OSCAR and post a screenshot. See my signature for the organization link.

Also it helps to see full redacted, we don't need any personal info, copies of both/any sleeptests. Full copies because rarely do the summaries tell the full story and often categorize the apnea as solely OSA when other issues are obviously present.

One more question, why is she on a BiPap?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response. My mom 80 was had a OSA with respiratory failure thankfully she was discharged and BIPAP was recommended as an aid. Here starts my tale of woe. I was told it was a Auto BIPAP and no settings are required. However the technician set the EPAP at 5 and Min PS at 2 or may be that was the default. After a week or so of no change it was recommended that PS be increased to 7 Min EPAP to 8 ( calculated IPAP then 15 according to my limited understanding) It was blowing a gale at these settings and my Mom couldnt tolerate it.
Then I was told EPAP to 4 and the rest machine will take care and subsequently told that PS should also be increased to 6 which again my mom couldn't tolerate So I reduced PS to 4 and kept EPAP as 4. Yesterday the readings started to go up to 15 I and 11 E and big sound was coming  even though I couldnt find any leak from the mask. Already mom is pretty resistant to the idea of the mask but now she is terrified and hasnt been wearing it today and I am terrified of CO2 build up. Because of Lock down and infection I dont want to drag her to the hospital ( mobility issues too) So coupel of things to know

1. Is it an absolute no no to touch the settings?
2. If I set the Min PS to 2 she is comfortable But would this help her CO2 levels?

If I read such a post I would recommend them to consult the physician. So just kind of getting it off my chest I guess

Thanks for your response. Here are some details
My mom 80 was had a OSA with respiratory failure thankfully she was discharged and BIPAP was recommended as an aid. Here starts my tale of woe. I was told it was a Auto BIPAP and no settings are required. However the technician set the EPAP at 5 and Min PS at 2 or may be that was the default. After a week or so of no change it was recommended that PS be increased to 7 Min EPAP to 8 ( calculated IPAP then 15 according to my limited understanding) It was blowing a gale at these settings and my Mom couldnt tolerate it.
Then I was told EPAP to 4 and the rest machine will take care and subsequently told that PS should also be increased to 6 which again my mom couldn't tolerate So I reduced PS to 4 and kept EPAP as 4. Yesterday the readings started to go up to 15 I and 11 E and big sound was coming  even though I couldnt find any leak from the mask. Already mom is pretty resistant to the idea of the mask but now she is terrified and hasnt been wearing it today and I am terrified of CO2 build up. Because of Lock down and infection I dont want to drag her to the hospital ( mobility issues too) So coupel of things to know

1. Is it an absolute no no to touch the settings?
2. If I set the Min PS to 2 she is comfortable But would this help her CO2 levels?

If I read such a post I would recommend them to consult the physician. So just kind of getting it off my chest I guess
Post Reply Post Reply
Fooling with settings without knowing what you are doing is a no no.
Virtually everyone on this forum changes their settings.
An Auto BiLevel can do wonders, but it is not a set and forget device. Running an auto machine wide open, letting it completely do its thing on its own is never a good thing though there are a very few individuals that it does work for.

We really need to see data. That is what OSCAR does. That data is down to a breath by breath level and when needed we look at the data in that detail.
You stated a blowing problem. That indicates a leak not a pressure problem.
To understand how much pressure the BiLevel can generate get a tall glass of water and a straw, now blow bubbles. 10 inches of water is that machines maximum pressure. I'm sure that neither you nor your mother had any trouble with that.

You mentioned CO2 levels, did you mean O2 levels?

despite the variable PS on a PR device, we see the PS typically holding near the min. PS=4 is a standard setting for a BiLevel.

CO2 levels are very important to our drive to breathe, so much so that too low of a CO2 level will cause a Central apnea. Another reason to read the device's SD card with OSCAR.

PS increases tend to improve O2 saturations and decrease CO2 levels. Again data is needed to see what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks tons. I am trying to download OSCAR Will post as soon as I get it done and working
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello ArnieSwas - reading your original post I get the impression that your mother might have COPD? Is this right? If so it might change the advice you get from our members.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thanks for your reponse. Though the diagnosis was what I mentioned and the word COPD was never mentioned I think she does have 
that. I have gone thru the discharge summary but dont find that word there
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the responses. My country is in a lock down and the Philipps respironics system one does not seem to have easy access to the SD card. So I am afraif to try anything till the lockdown lifts. Once I am able to see the data I would post.
For users who are new my learning is get the BIPAP settings written in the prescription. Also make sure access to the technician( knowledgeable) is available for changing settings as the patient copes with the pressure on advise of doctors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is the SD card slot located for this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 2 104 Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,477 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.