Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Paula's - Therapy Thread
RE: Paula's - Therapy Thread
Weird night last night. First off, my AHI was 0.40, which is a new low, and I had zero CA events, which is a first. My 95% Flow Limits were .07 (average is .13) and my tidal volume was...huge. All this while waking several times during the night feeling like I was suffocating. You can see the tiny break there before 2:30. I actually turned my machine off and back on because I thought it must not be blowing any air.

So as I said, a weird night. Loved the AHI and flow limits, the rest not so much. Does anyone have thoughts on the tidal volume?

Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your vents. That sounds similar to what I've read on this board from members who have implemented EERS. Tidal volume and minute vent both up, no drop in respiration rate, with reduction or elimination of CA events as well. Being awoken with a suffocating feeling may also be related to excess CO2, so my guess is that something changed that makes you re-breathe more air than you did before.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, yes, that makes sense. I blocked one of my exhaust ports with medical tape when I turned EPR on and didn't experience any problems, but after raising EPR to 3, I noticed that my CA events were creeping up. So OF COURSE I blocked the other vent. So to be clear, they aren't completely blocked because the tape is perforated. But I did that two nights ago and the first night was normal. I'll try unblocking half of the second port for tonight and see if that works out better.

Thanks for your response!
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad I could help. I tried blocking about a third of my mask vent (it's a ResMed so it's got an extra one on top of the headgear) once on my FFM, I felt like I slept great but forgot the SD card so I have no data to back it up. I'm not keen to try it again though, because I woke up dizzy. Like, stumbling dizzy. Mostly faded within an hour or two, but didn't get completely better till after lunch.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I unblocked about a third of the second vent. I'll report back tomorrow on how it goes.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
I felt especially well-rested when I woke up this morning, so I was eager to see what my night looked like. Imagine my surprise.

Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
What did the previous night look like? One of the oddities of sleep is that sometimes we can feel the sleep quality of the night before more than the one we just woke up from.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI of 2.02, which is just exactly my average with my current settings. So nothing special there.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
So I've looked at my data today and after all my futzing around with my settings, I've managed to reduce my 95% flow limits from .13 to .12. Hardly seems worth the effort. Can someone please explain to me, as though I were five years old, how a different machine would help me reduce that number?
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
Until the positional aspect is well managed a different machine will be of little help.

A higher PS/EPR could, depending on what is left, be better managed with a bilevel such as the VAuto but I wouldn't make that move until the positional stuff is well managed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sorry to start new thread but need nap Morgannon 152 8,023 2 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  LuminousOne Therapy Thread LuminousOne 20 735 5 hours ago
Last Post: LuminousOne
  Montacute's Therapy Thread Montacute 54 1,010 Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Montacute
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 4 154 Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Last Post: tobiathan
  NewlyDiagnosed therapy thread NewlyDiagnosed 109 3,718 07-24-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  cpapnovice - Therapy Thread cpapnovice 40 657 07-24-2024, 12:45 PM
Last Post: cpapnovice
Idea [Treatment] Chuu's Therapy Thread Chuuclysm 12 378 07-24-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Chuuclysm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.