Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Respironics DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced Machine
RE: Philips Respironics DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced Machine
Interesting... I hope there will be more details about the CARES act somewhere.

One further note: The AS11 data is not encrypted in any way. The AS11 will be supported in the upcoming release 1.3.0 of OSCAR.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 09:44 PM)LindanHotAir Wrote: This came to light from the CPAP Reviews FB group.
If you go to healthIT.gov and search for Information Blocking, it would appear that any vendors that block or encrypt a patient’s access to his data would be in violation of the CARES act which mandates that patients have access to their data. Anyone who gets a machine that prevents data access should file a complaint with Philips for DS2..., and also file a complaint with the US government. That might be more effective than asking nicely and being told to pound sand as seems to be the case so far, although the response might be different with some teeth behind the request.

Very interesting.

I suspect Philips would point to DreamMapper for their responsibility and then push the rest of the responsibility onto the DME, who can provide you with detailed reports.

Not that that would absolve them of their obligations, but they would probably muddy the waters and drag anything out. Working against them, though, is the fact that this is new with the DS2. Probably combine it with their recall forcing customers onto the DS2 and their significant market control preventing people from moving to other machines, and you've probably got a decent argument.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received a Dreamstation 2 from Philips, a month after registering my Dreamstation 1 in the recall.  It was a bit of a surprise, arriving FedEx on September 25.  My last previous communication from Philips, a couple of weeks earlier (in a letter sent via UPS !?!) was that they would address the recall "within 12 months." 

I'm supposed to ship my Dreamstation back to them.  It will be a month or so before I do that.  Maybe I'll send both machines back to them.

HOWEVER, even with access to the setup manual, I'm not sure I'm willing to use this machine.  That manual is not very complete.

1) It has a built in cellular modem, reporting my data to someone, somewhere, without my permission or approval.  My wife is not willing to sleep in a room with an active cellular device.  Our phones are kept in another room overnight.  I would rather sleep with her than with a cellular device.

2) It has an SD slot, but as others have noted, the Dreamstation 2 is not compatible with OSCAR, and I want to be able to track my sleep.  I will keep the machine, and may start using it once Oscar is compatible.

3) Others have reported that the Dreammapper software that does work with this device is insisting on a bluetooth connection to their phones every three days.  That's not something I will tolerate.

Does anyone know how to turn off the modem?  That will be essential if I am to use this machine.

In the meantime, I picked up an S9 with low hours that seems to be working reliably, quietly, and fully compatible with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2021, 09:01 PM)lazyjim Wrote: 1) It has a built in cellular modem, reporting my data to someone, somewhere, without my permission or approval.  My wife is not willing to sleep in a room with an active cellular device.  Our phones are kept in another room overnight.  I would rather sleep with her than with a cellular device.
Does anyone know how to turn off the modem?  That will be essential if I am to use this machine.

The modem is soldered onto the logic board, and its antenna is connected via a soldered wire. Furthermore Airplane Mode turns itself off after several days. So there's no non-destructive way to permanently disable the cellular modem.

If you're willing to open up the machine and clip the wire to the cellular antenna, that might keep it from connecting, but the cellular modem will still be trying its best to transmit. I don't know the effective EMF exposure in that case, though.

Also the DS2 removed the ambient light sensor, so the damn button lights up bright white until you go to bed. Bad if your wife goes to bed before you do. The DS1 dimmed to a wonderfully nonintrusive level.

At this point I'd switch to Resmed if I were you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  import data from Philips Alice NightOne into OSCAR FHTC 6 262 03-09-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Getting message "Your Resmed CPAP machine has not been tested yet". It's AirSense 11. PurpleOx 32 4,283 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR advanced viewing options dfunk 2 459 12-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Resmed 11 CPAP Machine Jose Castro 3 693 11-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Missing graphs, Philips BiPAP autoSV Advanced 30 SenatorBirch 7 649 10-22-2023, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Philips Care Orchestrator & Patient Access(?) StratCat48 10 5,239 10-17-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: The Rog
  how to use CPAP data to compute RDI with machine that doesn't report RERAs? TryingToGetItRight 3 629 09-29-2023, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.