Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me to improve my CPAP therapy
Please help me to improve my CPAP therapy
I started using BIPAP therapy in March 2019. I noticed in the last six months or so, my AHI has increased from 3ish to 5ish. I do not know what the reason is. I also have more snores than before. I am attaching my OSCAR screenshot here.  Could you please advise on how to improve it? thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me to improve my CPAP therapy
See the clumps of Obstructives on your graph... this is Positional Apnea.
This usually occurs if you're sleeping in a position that would cause "chin tucking".

Be sure your pillow is not too tall or that you're not sleeping on more than one pillow.  This can cause your head to tilt forward and cut off your air.  A firmer but flatter pillow may help.  If not, you can try a soft cervical collar to help keep your head/neck aligned.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

I'm also seeing some low level leaking (not high enough to affect therapy), but if happening all night, can be an annoyance.  Your mask cushion may need replaced.  

You've been at this for awhile, so I'm wondering if you've changed anything like pressure settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the advice. Last night, I used a new mask cushion, and my AHI was reduced to 4.9. I will upload the OSCAR image later. I will also try to use a soft cervical collar. I use SCC whenever I take an app during the day or on a long-haul flight to nap. I know I can not lie down, and the SCC improves my sleep without a CPAP machine. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
When flying, try a travel neck pillow turned around so that the opening is in the back.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestion. Next time will try out a travel pillow. Amazon seems to have one. Here is last night's sleep. It improved with a new F20 mask cushion. Tonight will try out with an SCC. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's a big improvement. Let us know how the collar works.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
It is amazing with the cervical collar; last night's sleep improved to AHI 1.43. I used this one from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMV...=UTF8&th=1

I am happy that it finally reached the AHI level when I started my CPAP journey in early 2019. Thanks so much for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
That looks pretty good. Keep a watch on the Obstructives.

I like the style of the collar. It's not too bulky and is open in the back.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,060 2 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 222 4 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 372 5 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 72 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,360 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 263 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 599 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.