Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help - still completely fatigued
RE: Please help - still completely fatigued
(10-31-2014, 02:34 PM)justMongo Wrote: Looks like 23andMe is not doing tests right now... some problem with the FDA.

My understanding is that they're not allowed to give you any medical info about what your tests might mean for your future, but can still report the raw data, which includes the SNP name and its status as normal or mutated on one or both genes (you get one from each parent). We've always been encouraged to run the raw data through a third party for the categorization and interpretation. Usually costs $25 or so. But you can look up the SNPs that are mutated and see what that means. Lots of info on the internet about DNA, genes and SNPs.

The FDA decided that maybe people would get unnecessary surgery or worry too much if they knew their genetic status. You know how that goes.

Rolleyes

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 08:29 AM)marxxx Wrote: Thanks for ideas guys.
Mongo - I am going to request a cardiac work up at my dr appt next week. I don't expect that to be root cause of the problem, but that's what the Dr's are for.

Phyllis - My B levels are good. I have actually improved several deficiencies over the course of the year. There may be more but B & D are both good.

I should probably start a separate thread for this, most of my apneas seem to occur while in REM.

As a couple others have noted, I think the full cardio work-up is a good idea. In my own case, I found a known blockage had increased from 75% to 80+% (over 17 yrs), had it stented, and there was a noticeable decrease in fatigue, though fragmented sleep did not improve.
As to D3, many now consider optimal to be higher than the "normal" low of 30ng/ml. The Vitamin D council recommends around 60. (you'll have to Google it, I can't yet provide links)

Jay

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 02:52 PM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 02:34 PM)justMongo Wrote: Looks like 23andMe is not doing tests right now... some problem with the FDA.

My understanding is that they're not allowed to give you any medical info about what your tests might mean for your future, but can still report the raw data, which includes the SNP name and its status as normal or mutated on one or both genes (you get one from each parent). We've always been encouraged to run the raw data through a third party for the categorization and interpretation. Usually costs $25 or so. But you can look up the SNPs that are mutated and see what that means. Lots of info on the internet about DNA, genes and SNPs.

The FDA decided that maybe people would get unnecessary surgery or worry too much if they knew their genetic status. You know how that goes.

Rolleyes

There is a great free (accepting donations) tool called Promethease which will give you a lot of the health info if you had a test at 23andme and download your raw data.
Post Reply Post Reply
my original sleep study indicated OAs and Hs, but no CAs. the study did not indicate any info with regard to NREM and REM sleep. it was a home test, and doc says you cannot tell this in the home study I took.

story continues, I got APAP setting 4-20 cm. I got CAs along with the OAs and Hs right off the bat, even at relatively low pressures (4-7 cm). doc says best interp they have right now is that it is possibly "treatment emergent central apneas." since I have just begun, I anticipate these will trail off.

I have leakage out the cheeks using my FFM as well, but none that the machine characterizes as large leaks. I did want to suggest your leakage might be interfering with the detection of events. Are your leaks still happening, and if they are fixed, did your AHI go up or down.

Good luck and see PM.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 976 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,813 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
Ohmy 3 years APAP, still fatigued and brainfogged meatwagon42 6 883 11-06-2023, 03:54 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  AHI low but still feel extremely fatigued. saiyangod 5 724 10-19-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  0.0 AHI - Fragmented Sleep and Waking Fatigued Korgunaard 10 1,381 09-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Still fatigued after year of treatment Starrve 13 1,562 07-25-2023, 07:12 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need Help - Constantly Fatigued Tron28 15 1,092 07-18-2023, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Psychotech

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.