Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plmnb's Never Ending OSA Journey (Data)
RE: [split] Finally received SD card. [Plmnb’s Data]
Sigh, good morning all.

I'm so tired Sad

Someone please explain why I feel just as awful now, with many less events with CPAP, than as if I wasn't using CPAP at all??  I think someone may have touched on this somewhere previously, but I can't remember, and/or just want to have the explanation reinforced...please.  I'm wondering if I am being a cry baby about my case?  I know there are tons of people with worse numbers than mine.  So how come I feel like it is so hard to go on??

Thank you Sleeprider & Bonjour for the explanations about the portion of the sleep study posted above.  The information you have provided is enlightening.  Makes me think about how all the dr's I have seen over the years are a waste of time, money, and emotions.  Why didn't any of them go over this type of information with me?  If they really seemed to care, they would help to figure out this puzzle of what is working and what is not??

(Sleeprider, the results are from one study, not two separate ones.  As to your bet about which side my husband sleeps on...you are almost correct Smile
He actually sleeps on my right side.  So, when I roll toward him, I roll onto my right side.  It is curious that the sleep study report notes I sleep on my back and on my left side, but not my right.  Probably because in the sleep lab my husband wasn't with me in the bed so I just naturally, without knowing it, turned onto my left side and if my husband had been there I would have unknowingly just naturally turned toward him to the right?  Sort of odd??)

Regarding last night's sleep:  I don't want to bother anyone with looking at last night's recording unless anyone is interested in looking at it for me.  If you are, I will go ahead and post it.  But, I do want to say I tried a little experiment again.  I did the fake soft cervical collar/towel thing again last night, but only for the first portion of my sleep.  (I knew I'd probably wake up at some point).  When I woke up in the middle of the night, I took it off and went back to sleep.  If I am reading the event flag portion of my readings correctly, I do believe I had quite a few LESS events with the towel collar on vs when I had it off.  SOOOO, It seems like a no brainer to run out and buy the real deal.  I am going to assume for the moment that the reason I still feel awful this morning is because I did not spend the entire night with the experimental towel collar on?  But, I'm not sure because when I woke up and took it off I felt horrid.

(On a side note, I am planning on not only buying the collar, but some sort of wedge, maybe foam? to help prevent me from sleeping on my sides. Also, I have to find something to put over the rubber of the face mask because it is irritating my skin.)

Look forward to hearing the support...I sure need it.

Regards,
Plmnb

PS.  Data for OSCAR question, will post in software though.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 08:50 AM)Plmnb Wrote: Sigh, good morning all.

I'm so tired Sad

Someone please explain why I feel just as awful now, with many less events with CPAP, than as if I wasn't using CPAP at all??  I think someone may have touched on this somewhere previously, but I can't remember, and/or just want to have the explanation reinforced...please.  I'm wondering if I am being a cry baby about my case?  I know there are tons of people with worse numbers than mine.  So how come I feel like it is so hard to go on??

Thank you Sleeprider & Bonjour for the explanations about the portion of the sleep study posted above.  The information you have provided is enlightening.  Makes me think about how all the dr's I have seen over the years are a waste of time, money, and emotions.  Why didn't any of them go over this type of information with me?  If they really seemed to care, they would help to figure out this puzzle of what is working and what is not??

(Sleeprider, the results are from one study, not two separate ones.  As to your bet about which side my husband sleeps on...you are almost correct Smile
He actually sleeps on my right side.  So, when I roll toward him, I roll onto my right side.  It is curious that the sleep study report notes I sleep on my back and on my left side, but not my right.  Probably because in the sleep lab my husband wasn't with me in the bed so I just naturally, without knowing it, turned onto my left side and if my husband had been there I would have unknowingly just naturally turned toward him to the right?  Sort of odd??)

Regarding last night's sleep:  I don't want to bother anyone with looking at last night's recording unless anyone is interested in looking at it for me.  If you are, I will go ahead and post it.  But, I do want to say I tried a little experiment again.  I did the fake soft cervical collar/towel thing again last night, but only for the first portion of my sleep.  (I knew I'd probably wake up at some point).  When I woke up in the middle of the night, I took it off and went back to sleep.  If I am reading the event flag portion of my readings correctly, I do believe I had quite a few LESS events with the towel collar on vs when I had it off.  SOOOO, It seems like a no brainer to run out and buy the real deal.  I am going to assume for the moment that the reason I still feel awful this morning is because I did not spend the entire night with the experimental towel collar on?  But, I'm not sure because when I woke up and took it off I felt horrid.

(On a side note, I am planning on not only buying the collar, but some sort of wedge, maybe foam? to help prevent me from sleeping on my sides.  Also, I have to find something to put over the rubber of the face mask because it is irritating my skin.)

Look forward to hearing the support...I sure need it.

Regards,
Plmnb

PS.  Data for OSCAR question, will post in software though.
Post a screenshot of last night. It may hold clues as to why you feel awful this morning. 

On a side note you just started therapy. It may take a few months to begin to feel better. I started in late September and am just now waking up refreshed (with the help from the experts in this forum). I still get very tired about 3 or 4 pm but that tells me I still have a ways to go until therapy is fully effective. So post those screenshots and let’s see what they can do for you. Patience is the key in all this. Trial and error
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much osiris357 for your interest.  here is the data from last night:

[attachment=18014]

My AHI # is less today than yesterday but I'm just as tired and miserable as i was yesterday.  I don't understand.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's not drive a wedge between you and your husband Smile
Most people find the collar when properly used works in any position. One of the examples in the positional apnea wiki is actually a side-sleeper, and the collar worked virtually overnight to eliminate the problem. I understand why people resist this approach, but it works so well that few leave it behind. The collar also has a training effect and some members have found they have less need for it after the problem corrects and they find the sleep position that avoids apnea. Others are just resigned to using it. Anecdotally, Melman who moderates on Apnea Boars arrived here with lots worse clusters of apnea than you have. I got him to try the collar and document his experience because his transformation was what really kicked off the recommendation of collars as a cure. If you're inclined you can look up his early threads and see it.

BTW, I had a 50/50 shot at your sleeping position, and as you can see, you win some you lose some. Most of the rest of my suggestions have a better foundation than a guess.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bilevel?
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the giggle this morning Sleeprider.

And you were SOOO close on your guess Smile lol

So you are suggesting something called a SIDE SLEEPER COLLAR? I need to go check out the thread you mentioned. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:25 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The collar also has a training effect and some members have found they have less need for it after the problem corrects and they find the sleep position that avoids apnea.

Plmnb,
This “training effect”, I found in my case to be very true.

I tried a regular soft collar for awhile, but found I didn’t like anything wrapping around the back of my neck. (There are collars you can buy that don’t go all the way around the back of your neck.)

I found myself using a soft (half moon shaped) toddler or travel size pillow. I am somewhat like you as I turn from side to side, but due to hip pain. The little pillow seemed to stay with me when I turned over.

What I found was that after a few months, I simply didn’t need it. I seemed to have trained myself to keep my chin from tucking to my chest. Now I rarely use it. Smile

Anything that’s comfortable for you is worth trying.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:33 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Bilevel?

My new machine is not bilevel.  before I went back to the new dr. after my new sleep study I researched a little about what type of machine I might need.  I concluded Bilevel.  But my dr. disagreed.  So I have an automatic CPAP from what I was told.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:25 AM)Plmnb Wrote: Thank you very much osiris357 for your interest.  here is the data from last night:

My AHI # is less today than yesterday but I'm just as tired and miserable as i was yesterday.  I don't understand.

Plmnb
That screenshot explains why you don’t feel well. Listen to sleeprider and go from there. It may turn out that even with your neck straight for several nights in a row you get the same results. If that does indeed happen then it could be possible you need a more advanced machine. But let’s cross that bridge if it appears. For now stick with wearing the collar and looking at the results. Unfortunately we only get one shot a night so it takes a few to more nights to get enough data to make a determination. 

It was a very short time ago where I was more than a little annoyed at my doc but taking the advise from the forum and what I’ve learned about my own therapy I’ve been able to knock down my flow limitations and curb other sleep disordered breathing issues (central apnea) that thankfully you don’t have adding to your problems and now I’m on my way to therapy being fully effective. Not quite there but close
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:46 AM)Plmnb Wrote: Bilevel?
My new machine is not bilevel.  before I went back to the new dr. after my new sleep study I researched a little about what type of machine I might need.  I concluded Bilevel.  But my dr. disagreed.  So I have an automatic CPAP from what I was told.

Well... obviously your doctor wasn't looking at flow limitations then.

Using a collar is a worth a shot but I won't be surprised if your severe flow limitations persist.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 87 3 hours ago
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 151 Today, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,627 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,003 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,885 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,418 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 667 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.