Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RE: In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
RE: Plmnb - the journey continues now with ST-A.
We really haven't had an overview of progress for quite a while. I guess the only thought that comes to mind in visiting the neuro is the flow limitation research would probably be lost on him. I think with any of your doctor, the story you can relate on your health is more important that trying to direct or guide their conclusions. I have a very sore knee at the moment and have been limping for about 3-weeks. I'm not too happy about it, but when I eventually see an orthopaedic I will probably just point to where it hurts, rather than show him my research from the internet on what it could be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprised 
Well, Sleeprider was right.  The issue is my "sleep sitting yoga pose".

The neurologist/psych/sleep doctor and his nurse practitioner took one look at all my photos and immediately pronounced me to be suffering from a very severe form of a parasominia.  Compounding the issue is the merlagia.  These are the issues causing me to not sleep well. In their opinion I could go back on Bipap instead of the ST-A.   I was very pushy about the FL situation and they were not in agreement at all with me.

I have been prescribed a medication to help me sleep.  They also wanted to do some brain imaging and other tests, but I said let me see how it goes with the medication.

We shall see what we shall see guys and gals.

I think if it were not for your help I would never have had this figured out.  Can not fully explain numerous sleep studies that do not show me sitting up while I sleep.  Oh, well.

Regards,
Plmnb
Phoebe
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad to har the Vauto might be your better solution, and I can't argue that it provided good therapy except for the episodes where it didn't . I really hope you find relief with the new approach. I have never tried to say that we understand the origin of the flow-limit episodes and parasomnia, but my "guess" was never a diagnosis. I hope this moves us forward to a solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Phoebe

should you indeed go back to Vauto, what about start all over with a self titration, as per Resmed Protocol?

good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
I understand Sleeprider, but your "guess" about the parasominia is not something I would have ever thought of on my own, so I am very grateful to you for that.  It is also because of you and others that I was able to make the setting changes to my machines that got me to where the current doctor felt that my sleep apnea was being adequately treated.  I am going forward with trying to eliminate the parasominia and treating the maintenance insomnia with the medication that I was prescribed.  So hopefully things will start to look better in the OSCAR charts, especially as things relate to the number of hours with the mask on.

mper6794, I'm thinking about giving it a try.  The portion I DO have to pay for the ST-A is much more than for the Bipap machine.  So, the probability exists that I will go back to that machine.  I MAY have learned enough here to start out with the settings tweaks on my own.

Best Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with an ST-A, but can it be set to function similar to a VAuto?

I have a tough time understanding how the neurologist/psych/sleep doctor and his nurse practitioner could make that statement without a single night trying to sleep with the meds. It may turn out that way in the end, but I would think getting some data and seeing how you feel on the ST-A first might be a wise approach. The fight to go back to an ST-A after downgrading might be difficult.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
The ST-A can be configured as a VPAP S but has no EasyBreathe. It has many available modes, but no auto-adjusting EPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
My research finds the US version of ResMed ST-A machines that are not NIV class lack auto EPAP (I'm seeing this feature being called AE) opposed to Australian and possibly European versions which could have it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee Good morning Apneaboard Community.  I hope everyone is weathering the virus situation well.

I know I haven't been around for a while.  I just felt I needed a break from OSCAR and my obsession with the data, as well as all things apnea related.  My meralgia has been kicking my ass and the condition is in need of most of my attention.  I have just looked at my Oscar data for the first time in about a month and am trying to see if my current treatment is making any difference in the data.

I have had two visits with my new neurologist/sleep doctor.  I had to change doctors because I just wasn't getting anywhere with the other doctors.  My new doctor is mostly concerned with my parasominia (my sleep sitting yoga style).  They insist that the parasominia is what is causing the majority of my sleep issues.  I had taken still and video evidence, as well as my Oscar data to them on my first visit.  They viewed my sleep data (not the Oscar data though,) and deemed me doing well with my sleep.  I argued with them and they insisted my sleep issues all stem from my sleep sitting.  At the first visit I was prescribed Clonozopam (Klonopin).  1/2 to one tablet at bedtime.  This didn't seem to be helping much as I was still doing yoga sleep and having my meralgia attacks.  I called them and they said go to 2 tablets of Clonozapam.  This made me feel like I got hit by the proverbial truck.  So I had a second appointment.

At the second appointment I told them that my meralgia attacks were still happening and they were as horrid as could be.  I have residual discomfort all day in my leg.  My husband was with me and told them I still was sitting up.  I was prescribed Gabapentin and Baclofen to take with all my other meds, including one whole Clonzopam. These new drugs seem to be helping a bit with the sitting up and the attacks of pain.  Although, I now am having symptoms of the meralgia in my other leg.  I have a nerve test coming up in May and we shall see what those results will indicate.  They INSIST that until my parasomina is fully treated I will continue to have issues.

Since I started the new drugs my Oscar charts reveal more nights with the mask on continuously.  The AHI numbers for the most part are under 1.  I still don't feel well rested upon awakening and I am still tired late at night, which is especially a problem with my night shifts at work.  (I was told to be sure to bring my SD card for my next visit.). We did get into a little argument about how I didn't think my apnea was under control.  I know they are just going by the numbers though and NOT the quality of the information.  Please note that I actually got a good number of hours of sleep time for a change.

I am posting last night's charts for the heck of it.  I won't be able to convince my doctors to view these charts and as I have said, they are convinced my apnea is under control.  It is so interesting to me to see that the shape of my FLOW RATE is pretty much rounded until about 3:00AM + or -.  Then for about an hour and a half I have a pretty funky FLOW RATE shape, then back to not as funky until I wake up.  I viewed my video for last night and I don't see any reason why my FLOW RATE shapes should be so funky.  So I just guess I'll have to live with my OSA the way it is  Sad

[attachment=22224]

[attachment=22225]

[attachment=22226]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Plmnb nice to see you again. I’d say you’re doing great! You’ll always have it pop up here and there and as long as you feel ok I wouldn’t change anything. That AHI is awesome! Considering what it used to be.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 969 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,592 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 542 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 237 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.