Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Popping sound when starting machine
Popping sound when starting machine
I have a resmed s9 autoset.  I do not use ramp, but I do use a climate hose.
Is it normal as I start my machine and it begins to increase pressure at about 4-5cm. h2O it seems to pop air for a second then stops and continues to my set pressure?  Also if I inhale deeply it also "pops" air for a second.  Just want to make sure this is normal as the machine is new. I looked for some other posts and mostly this sound is related to rainout.  I have never had rainout and like I said it happens in the beginning when the machine first is turned on.  

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Popping sound when starting machine
Do you feel any moisture when this occurs?
Post Reply Post Reply
No.  Dry mask and dry tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you think it could it be your hose expanding from the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wondering,the sound is coming when the air is reaching the mask.  Is this something other people experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2017, 10:56 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Just wondering,the sound is coming when the air is reaching the mask.  Is this something other people experience?

Hmmm... maybe the anti-asphyxia valve in the mask is making the noise. Do you have another mask you can try to see if the same thing happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
Another mask makes same sound.  Sounds like when air hits mask it makes like a thump sound for a second.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think DeepBreathing is right. Anti-Asphyxia Valve.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
if the pressure is too low on a FFM and you exhale, it will force the anti-asphyxia valve to close to avoid permeating the hose with CO2.  This rebreathing feature is typical of all full face masks.  Nasal and Pillows masks typically don't have this feature since your mouth is exposed to the atmosphere.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be the mask seals inflating. I can feel/hear mine as they inflate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 183 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,873 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.