Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power outage [when wearing full face mask]
Sad 
Power outage [when wearing full face mask]
What happens if the power goes off and you're wearing a full-face mask (covering nose and mouth)? You suffocate?

I'll probably get a Goal Zero Yeti 400 "plug-and-play battery box"(I can get a great deal and I camp a lot), but it's not going to be very effective if I bite the dust before I can take the CPAP out of the wall plug and stick it into the Yeti.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power outage
Let's see...   Medical device, check!  American litigation obsession, check!  I am pretty sure they would have though of that.  Dead customers are really bad PR.  Bigwink

Anti-asphyxia valve (AAV)
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the bright side, if you kick you won't need the power backup.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This makes me laugh now, but it was a real concern when I was starting out.  I remember asking doctors and technicians about it.  Notwithstanding the effectiveness of the anti-asphyxiation valves, I was re-assured that the first thing I would do would be to wake up!

I can attest to the effectiveness of the a/a valves, as I have continued to sleep through 2 power failures, only woken by my partner telling me to connect the back-up battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
I speak from experience - you should not suffocate (key word should). I know if I said won't someone would say a friend of a friend of their cousin 42 times removed died when the power went out.

But seriously, it should not be a problem. I have a Quatro FX FFM and can breathe through it when the machine is not on. Have proved it several times when I got up in the middle of the night, went you know where, came back, put the mask on and forgot to turn the machine back on. I know on my machine, if the power goes out, I get a beeping alarm which is enough to wake the dead. My cats have proved that when they have accidentally unplugged the power cord from the brick.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2017, 11:09 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Look at the bright side, if you kick you won't need the power backup.

Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
No you dont sufficate. I have slept trough power outage. It went off I didnot know and came back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the power goes out the CPAP stops.
If the CPAP stops you snore.
If you snore the wife loses it.
If the wife loses it you die.
Better to have a backup.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
In my hometown, you can fill out a form by going to the power company office. Health issues come first when the there is a loss of power and the company will go to the areas of most need (healthwise) to get the power on.

Fortunately, my power has gone off just a couple of times, like about 4 years ago when we had a derecho wind storm.
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
You can go to the power company office where I live and fill out a form showing that you have a medical condition. So if the power goes out, they look at the most critical ( by health needs) areas that need to have power restored.

I haven't been without power but just a couple of times (derecho once, ice storm once) for a long period of time, fortunately.
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,584 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 239 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.