Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] APAP Tuning Part Two
APAP Tuning Part Two
I posted a few days ago about changing from CPAP to APAP on my ResMed Airsense Autoset.  I think I need to start a new thread for this.  To recap I am a longtime CPAP user who was recently having issues with daytime dizziness.  Whether or not this is the relevant to CPAP is not clear, but having joined the Board recently, and having used Oscar and reading about the technology changes since I started using CPAP about 12 year ago, I now know that my fixed pressure of 11 was not working for me.  I had periodic episodes during the night of flow rate limitations with high CA and H and RERA.  I posted 3 nights of data at fixed pressure of 11 with my new neck pillow to make sure these episodes were not due to chin tuck.  I got advice to try APAP at 11 to 16.

The results I'm posting here show that the ResMed algorithm is responding to my episodes by increasing pressure and has pretty much hit the 16 limit on all three nights.  I had one bad episode for the 3 nights posted here.  I believe I felt sluggish when I work up that day.  I didn't have a problem with mask leaks at the higher pressures and don't think I had a problem with the higher pressures.  So I'm asking if it looks like I should raise the pressure one more time.  I'm thinking 11-18.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP Tuning Part Two
I don't see that a bump to 18 would have a negative impact. Try it overnight and post results including how you feel. You can see what an overnight does with the edit, and if that goes well, keep it and go a few nights. See what trends out.

Take 2 of these Coffee and call us...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm setup with my high pressure at the max 25. You are not increasing pressure without cause so I would for me set to 20.

But how do you feel? Be critical. Your numbers say you are awesome, with no needed changes, so how do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 12:10 PM)bonjour Wrote: I'm setup with my high pressure at the max 25.  You are not increasing pressure without cause so I would for me set to 20.

But how do you feel?  Be critical.  Your numbers say you are awesome, with no needed changes, so how do you feel?

Thanks bonjour.  I did think that one night with only one densely packed episode over about 20 minutes made me groggy in the morning.  I hate to complain with my numbers being so good, but 20 minutes of suffocation can't be a good thing.  I'll give it shot tonight at the higher pressure and see if the machine can compensate for an event.

(11-29-2019, 10:39 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I don't see that a bump to 18 would have a negative impact. Try it overnight and post results including how you feel. You can see what an overnight does with the edit, and if that goes well, keep it and go a few nights. See what trends out.

Funny.  Thanks Dave.  I'll give it a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 01:01 PM)jgunders Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 12:10 PM)bonjour Wrote: I'm setup with my high pressure at the max 25.  You are not increasing pressure without cause so I would for me set to 20.

But how do you feel?  Be critical.  Your numbers say you are awesome, with no needed changes, so how do you feel?

Thanks bonjour.  I did think that one night with only one densely packed episode over about 20 minutes made me groggy in the morning.  I hate to complain with my numbers being so good, but 20 minutes of suffocation can't be a good thing.  I'll give it shot tonight at the higher pressure and see if the machine can compensate for an event.

(11-29-2019, 10:39 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I don't see that a bump to 18 would have a negative impact. Try it overnight and post results including how you feel. You can see what an overnight does with the edit, and if that goes well, keep it and go a few nights. See what trends out.

Funny.  Thanks Dave.  I'll give it a shot.
Believe it or not, when we are not chasing numbers, bringing them in line, your bring critical of how you feel is what we have to go on.  These critical things are called symptoms and yes, all of them don't apply.  
Be critical of how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome.

20 minutes of suffocation...that's describing how you feel, which is for that segment wasn't good enough.

Adjust for need and there's your need.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Need some tuning I think timthebaker 6 184 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: timthebaker
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 578 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 302 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.