Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
RE: Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
(06-11-2019, 12:21 PM)sheepless Wrote: despite the frequent admonitions to wait some time before making changes, I'm usually too impatient to stick with a setting that returns a higher ahi, at least until I get down to fine tuning.  that said, my current (best so far) setting started out with a higher ahi (like between 1 and 2) and quickly started trending down, so I stuck with it until now my 60+ day average is 0.22 ahi.  so there's something to the conventional wisdom to wait a bit between changes.

That's a good number. after 4 years mine waffles between .5 and 1. Sometimes higher sometimes lower. Despite that I have lost a ton of weight it didn't seem to matter.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
congrats on the weight loss. I'm envious. were you able to lower your pressure with weight loss? are you still having oa? do you think weight loss helped reduce oa at all? I don't imagine it does a thing for ca. I was young and slim when first diagnosed with ca, before developing oa.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2019, 12:35 PM)khw210 Wrote: I'm impatient as well. But what the Board has told me to do seems to be working, so I'll keep my hands of the settings and "do as I'm told".

This goes for anyone,  Try to understand why we suggest the changes we recommend.  If you don't understand, ask.  In reality, many of our suggestions may vary.  One may be more conservative, trying to slowly approach the goal, others may be more aggressive, change many parameters at once initially, but everyone is aiming for the same goal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2019, 12:04 PM)khw210 Wrote: This is interesting, and surprising to me. But probably not to most people on the Board.
I haven't changed my APAP pressure settings in a couple of days and won't for a few more but my results seem to be improving. Maybe I'm getting used to the higher pressure.

Not surprising to me.  This is why we suggest that you give it a couple days.  

I’m impatient also.  I don’t always follow my own advice.  Smile   Even after 4.5 years, if I make a change, I expect to see immediate results...but that doesn’t always happen.  So I give it a couple days and it seems to even out.  

Just so you realize, it’s pretty rare to find someone that has a consistent AHI number day after day.
Mine bounces around from .5 to 1.5.  If it goes higher, it’s because I’m sick or on meds.

Hang in there, your doing great!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good numbers again last night. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it's not happening. I'm not going to change a thing. At least until the numbers stabilize. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2019, 12:52 PM)sheepless Wrote: congrats on the weight loss.  I'm envious.  were you able to lower your pressure with weight loss?  are you still having oa?  do you think weight loss helped reduce oa at all?  I don't imagine it does a thing for ca.  I was young and slim when first diagnosed with ca, before developing oa.

Thanks. Modern chemistry works wonders but I have to say I hope I never have to use that med again.

I did have to lower my min APAP pressure but it was due to aerophagia. Min setting was 10 and I am fiddling with it now between 8~9. My weight loss didn't seem to make a difference with apnea (other than aero). I haven't tried to sleep without my mask on. Seems weird thinking about not having a mask on now. It has had an adverse effect on the quality of sleep I get. I have osteoarthritis and the pain from that has increased since losing weight. I guess my fat body cushioned my joints. Now if I sleep for more than a few hours I am hurting. if I sit for any length of time, same. Pain medication helps but that could also make apnea worse. Not sure I see any benefit to losing weight to be honest. It just means maybe I will be a mean miserable old goat annoying people a lot longer.
Too-funny
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
After several nights with encouraging results I appear to have taken a step backward last night. 
I've attached last night's result along with the three previous nights.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see a bad night. All of those are better than my last night and I'm not concerned with it. It's not the numbers that matter, it's how you feel
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I do understand that numbers will vary but I was spoiled by the low AHIs I had been getting. I feel good and that's more important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good numbers again last night. I will be traveling today and using my Resmed S8 Elite II tonight. It's a straight pressure CPAP. If I'm reading my results correctly and following the Board's advice, I'm going to set my pressure at 9.0 cmH2O.
Looking forward to seeing how it works for me.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 45 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 93 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 313 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 375 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 204 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.