Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] BIPAP VS CPAP
BIPAP VS CPAP
In the past 3 years I have run the full circle trying to find a solution for treating the moderate level apnea I am still having difficulty believing I have other than an OMG waking up gasping episode occurring only once every 5-6 weeks.  My last slp study 2 mos ago showed no central ap episodes, the study done 2 yrs ago did.  My attempts to get a dental guard came to an abrupt halt with the pandemic.  I considered and am approved for the Inspire therapy but have gotten cold feet thinking about the surgery and the surgical scars it will leave.  So now I am back at cpap which I am still having difficulty with the pressure setting at just 4, which I guess is the lowest.  With the lowered pressure on a BIPAP machine would that be easier to tolerate?  I am also trying to record myself sleeping thinking if I see or hear evidence of apnea maybe that will light a fire under me.  All I need is a trac phone so I don't have the capability to record using a cell.  I have investigated using my samsung chromebook and paying for an advanced option with loom, clipchamp, etc, to get the longer recording time, but the instructions of do this, then click on that, then go here, then download, and on and on.  I have an old kodak webcam I have never used, try to install the software in my HP laptop only to find out the webcam is obsolete with my laptop-aaaagh!  So I end up throwing up my hands, swearing, and just forget it, and go pet my flame point siamese, Madison to calm down.  Anybody have any suggestions regarding either of my issues?  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP VS CPAP
A Bi-Level machine usually offers higher pressures and the ability to offer inhale to exhale pressure differences that can exceed the 3 cm limit of a Resmed standard CPAP.

You list a Resmed but not your exact model. Please list the exact one you have in hope of it being data capable. Depending on your answer, you may be able to use OSCAR to analyze your sleep data. This will provide better answers to your problem.

Also, most people feel like they are suffocating on any pressure lower than 7 cm.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your last thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing?page=3 you are having problems adapting to CPAP, and may even be wearing the mask loosely, like a canula. Without a seal between the nasal pillow cushion and your nose, the air will flow and not be able to build therapy pressure. A change of machines or using BiPAP will not resolve this problem. You must get a mask seal so that the pressure stabilizes and the mask stops blowing.

You may be a good INSPIRE candidate, and there are several threads on the forum from members using that technology. It is indeed invasive, and requires placing a control pack and battery under the skin and routing wires to the hypoglossal nerve in your jaw. There is a considerable healing time until the device is activated and calibrated. I think you would be better served to return to your previous thread, read and implement the good suggestions people have made there, and resolve your issues with CPAP and wearing a mask. BiPAP is not your answer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your advice.  It is kind of what I expected regarding the BIPAP from what I have read but wasn't sure.  There are just no simple solutions to something I am having difficulty believing I have due to the once every 5 or 6 weeks it wakes me up.  I got a new type fitting thing, not sure what it is called, but it fits underneath my nose, unlike the pillows that go inside, and with a simple one strap headgear, so it feels less invasive.  And yes with the fit it allows it the nose piece to slide down and when it gets down to the point where I don't feel like I am working myself in to a panic attack, when I turn it off after a couple minutes torture it reads something about the seal not being adequate or such.  I will figure out how to access the posts from 3 years ago and reread them like you suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows should not fit inside the nose. That would suggest too small of a size. They should rest on the end of the nares and the lips on the nasal pillows simply stabilize their position. I have used the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows for a long time, and they are probably the least intrusive mask.

I'm curious if you have ever tried to use the free OSCAR software. It can help reveal issues with therapy we would never find without the software.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi.  My machine is resmed air sense 10.  The oscar thing, whatever that is, it sounds like maybe that is putting the cart before the horse and for me, the less displayed results, graphs, stats, etc, the better.  I don't mean to get all psychoanalytic, but I remember as a child when I first discovered I could stop breathing by holding my breath I became obsessed with that.  It wasn't I was scared I would stop breathing or anything, it is like breathing became a chore to me as long as I was conscious of it and could control it.  The only way I could stop the obsession was by getting my attention on something else during the day, and at night I always had my radio tuned in to KDKA, which I still do, just now it is WUNC.  Now as an adult, when I get all trussed up with the cpap, knowing even after using belsomra every night that if I am lucky I will finally fall asleep 2 hrs later around 1 AM (dxd delayed sleep onset insomnia), and with all the air blowing in my nose I can't help but focus on my breathing because the machine feels like it is breathing with me, which I hate.  I was currently exploring the option of a dental guard, which could possibly help with my moderate level apnea.  When things hopefully improve and everyone can get back to their lives I will continue with that in the hope it will at least ameliorate the apnea.  Thank you for your suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not tried a full face mask, maybe the all-cloth Circadiance, I would. Some people are bothered less by the air flow when it's more equal across the face. A BiPAP is superior from a therapeutic standpoint, and a higher PS and more precise triggering would probably help with the "breathing with you" issue, but until/unless you can sleep a full night with CPAP, it might not be a fiscally prudent upgrade.

The sleep agent doesn't seem to be helping, and none is side-effect free, so I would reconsider that as well. And if music isn't working, sometimes audiobooks are more distracting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,184 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 676 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 983 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  CPAP vs Bipap Jose Castro 6 848 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.