Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] I need some advice with my sleep apnea situation.
I need some advice with my sleep apnea situation.
Hello, first would like to apologize for my english I know won't be the best but hopefully you guy's can understand and give me some advice.

I been having problems with apnea I did my test and I got an 75 (AHI) events per hour, my oxygen level goes down to 64% at night, I'm 29 / 290 pounds / 5'7 / I'm starting on a journey to lose weight too because is obviously necessary.

They send me home with a Resmed Airsense 10 for a month at min 4 / max 10 , but still most of the day's AHI are between 60 up to 80, I went to the Dr. and he told me to keep using it like that and to keep doing medicine ( antihistamine / and some nose spray's) he doesn't change any configuration, and to visit him in 6 months... I feel is too much time, so looking about it I found this forum, I decide to create an account to post my case to see if I can get some advice.

I change the config for what I read to try at least, and here is the last 3 day's results on OSCAR. Today and Yesterday I wake up full of air (farting a lot) and my mouth was totally dry, but Yesterday was way worse, about the dry mouth I bought Oracoat Xylimelts a few weeks ago because first month I was having problems with dry mouth too, that give me a big big headache every morning, even when I'm using the water tank for humidity I tried differents level already but doesn't really make any difference I breathed all my life by mouth or almost all my life so I suppose that's why using these pills will be necessary, I didn't use the Oracoat Xylimelts last few day's because with config 4-10 I wasn't having problems anymore so I stop using it, but with 7-20 and 7-14 I had this problem again but don't have headache.

Here in the image's you can see the difference between 4-10 7-20 and 7-14, but not sure what I should do now if someone can give me some advice, I was thinking to do something like 9-12, my idea was to try to change the config on my own and then go to the Dr. and show him (the problem is that this Dr. is the "best" one where I live, so is almost impossible to get a consult for the next two month at least, so my idea is to try getting the config by myself and then talk with him again to see, he probably it's going to be angry because I'm not a "Dr". But is my life at risk, not sure if I want to wait 6 month's having 75 + AHI, maybe is not dangerous if I'm using the machine but I'm not sure about this.

If you guy's can give me advice on the min/max I should be using, yesterday was the first time in more than a year that I don't fall asleep over the day while working at my computer because I work from home.

I'm using a F20 Resmed mask - [b]Resmed Airsense 10.[/b]

If you guy's think I'm "crazy" and should stay with 4/10 for the 6 months let me know too please, I just think waiting can be dangerous for myself that's why I'm trying because I feel been on apnea half of the night even using the machine is dangerous maybe is not and I'm wrong and maybe is worse to change the config like this, so please let me know. Thanks in advance.

I attached the OSCAR results because can't post image or link until I have 4 posts and I'm new on the forum.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I need some advice with my sleep apnea situation.
Usually, most adults find any pressure below 7cm to be lacking.  It gives a starvation of air feeling.  Your charts indicate a severe flow limitations.   This is the metric that the Resmed uses to increase its pressure.  Based on your flow limit numbers, it will be going to your upper set limit every time.   If you find this uncomfortable, you may wish to limit the range to something like, 13 min to 15 max. This is not a perfect solution, but will reduce your pressure swings and allow for better sleep.

Since your model of CPAP has hits its limit on addressing flow limitations, a bi-level machine would seem like a good choice.  The Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto would be the model I would recommend.

Keep us updated.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2023, 09:49 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Usually, most adults find any pressure below 7cm to be lacking.  It gives a starvation of air feeling.  Your charts indicate a severe flow limitations.   This is the metric that the Resmed uses to increase its pressure.  Based on your flow limit numbers, it will be going to your upper set limit every time.   If you find this uncomfortable, you may wish to limit the range to something like, 13 min to 15 max. This is not a perfect solution, but will reduce your pressure swings and allow for better sleep.

Since your model of CPAP has hits its limit on addressing flow limitations, a bi-level machine would seem like a good choice.  The Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto would be the model I would recommend.

Keep us updated.

- Red

So in your opinion I should contact maybe with another Dr. to see if they can change the machine? honestly this Dr. want me to visit him in 6 months, and to stay on 4 min - 10 max when the results with that is everynight 75+ AHI's I suppose is dangerous, not sure maybe using the machine is not dangerous??

And will try doing that of 13 to 15 to see how it goes, the problem with the 7 - 20 was that I feel bloated, so let's see how it goes with 13 min to 15 max, and maybe try to get in contact with a different Dr. that help me with this to get a different Machine like the Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto. Not sure if they have this model here tho, I suppose t hey do. But as I need the Dr. to request it I can't by myself the other option would be buying it but would prefer to find the one work's for me for "free" first before paying for it, but if they don't give me a solution I would need to try it by myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that if you are not sleeping on one of your sides, please do that. Sleeping on your back is the worst position for an apnea sufferer.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always been a mouth breather, but I have found that with enough heat and humidity, I can breathe through my nose most of the night, and that helped with swallowing air. I use a full mask (Resmed F30i).

I'm not experienced with these things like the moderators, but I have seen a lot of advice on the forum about sleep position, including the use of a collar for obstructive apnea. Sometimes people have gotten their OAs down by use of the soft cervical collar, or by wearing something like a backpack to keep from rolling onto their backs.

The Apnea Board wiki has some wonderful articles. You might try these:
How to find optimum CPAP pressure: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...P_pressure
Aerophagia: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...Aerophagia
Positional Apnea: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Personally, I don't think I could wait 6 months with beyond severe apnea. I'm a little alarmed that this doctor can't even send a setting adjustment in that time. Seems like a red flag to me. They generally at least try to get your AHI below 5. If you can see another doctor or nurse who's more available, that seems like a wise move.

Good luck!
~Dani
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 110 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 197 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 110 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,048 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 197 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 280 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 156 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.