Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Need Advice On What Settings to Adjust Resmed Airsense 10
RE: Need Advice On What Settings to Adjust Resmed Airsense 10
There is enough flow limitation and some recovery style looking breaths to make me think obstructions may be playing a role even if there are few obstructive apneas being flagged. Treatment emergent centrals usually look a lot more like the typical cheyne stokes centrals whereas his are kind of ugly with the recovery type breaths and flow limitations mixed in.

I am thinking they might be mixed apnea that mostly get flagged as centrals. Previously when he used higher pressure would have been using higher EPR making the central side of things worse but using higher pressure with no EPR may stint airway open (if obstruction is the issue) and keep flow low enough to avoid centrals.

Just an idea he can test since recent results still aren't good enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh absolutely, it's definitely worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Results from last night:

Min - 5.6 Max - 7.0  Couldn't get to sleep, after 40 minutes stopped and checked.  Had AHI - 6.31 all central

Changed pressures as follows:

Min - 4.6 Max 5.2  Slept a total of 6 hours more and at these settings AHI - 1.69 (clear airway - 1.35, hypopnea - 0.34, RERA - 0.17)

Tonight I am going to try cutting Max to 5.0.  Looks like I needed less pressure, not more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your data, I want to see at what pressure the centrals occurred.
Post Reply Post Reply
Centrals in the first 40 minutes occurred at pressures between 6.5 and 7.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to your statement, these are not real Central events that any PAP can help you with.

"Min - 5.6 Max - 7.0 Couldn't get to sleep, after 40 minutes stopped and checked. Had AHI - 6.31 all central"

You stressed you were awake. These aren't Apnea then. At worst, you were between wake and sleep, and these would be SWJ/sleep wake junk then.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2021, 10:00 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: According to your statement, these are not real Central events that any PAP can help you with.

True, but the bottom line is that I did better with lower pressure and that is what matters to me.  That is also what I found when I first started CPAP about 3 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed that. Yes if you didn't actually fall asleep then they were sleep wake junk or potentially sleep transition centrals that kept waking you up.

The problem is that at these settings the machine is barely doing anything. At this low of pressure and with EPR off a lot of people feel starved for air, usually people need higher pressure and EPR to treat their sleep disturbed breathing. These settings might be causing fewer centrals but the question becomes whether or not they are treating the obstructive apnea you were diagnosed with (assuming they were obstructive). I am starting to question if these are treatment emergent centrals or if you have some non treatment related centrals (perhaps intermittently if it didn't show up on sleep study).

Can you post a redacted version of your sleep study (remove any personal info etc)? It would help us better understand what you are trying to treat.

If you feel like you are sleeping great at these low pressure EPR off settings then keep doing so. If they don't seem to be solving your issues the only thing to try is more pressure/EPR and if that always creates centrals on this machine then you may need a different machine to treat your disturbed breathing.

Edit: Also if your pressure had raised then that means flow limitations, hypopneas, snore or obstructive apnea were also present (since these obstructive events are the only things that increase pressure). It would help if you posted the data rather than summaries that we have to guess to interpret.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have the actual sleep study report but have now requested it.  See first post for what I was told by Kaiser.

Edit: I don't post the summaries because the forum tells me I have used my maximum for this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your original post doesn't tell us if the AHI was obstructive apnea, hypopnea or centrals. Being able to see the details provided in full report will help better interpret what is going on.

Try attaching again, you were probably getting that error because you were a "New Member", you now you have enough posts I don't believe there should be an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 94 Today, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,035 Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 169 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,241 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,567 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 170 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 195 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.