Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Needing help with pressure setting on APAP.
Needing help with pressure setting on APAP.
Hello all! I'm new to APAP, OSCAR, and apnea board. Thank you for taking the time to check out my post and assist. I am not sure what pressure setting to have my APAP on as the past week I am having events more than 5 nightly and have been sleeping poorly. I had most success with just over 5 events at pressure setting 8 to 14. I changed my setting last night to 9 to 20 and recorded over 8 events. I could really use some guidance with selecting the correct pressure setting as I did not have a titteration test due to being prescribed an APAP. Any and all help is appreciated as I feel truly lost. Thank you!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Needing help with pressure setting on APAP.
Should I turn my EPR to 0 or 1? After additional research on the forum I believe it may be causing CA.
Post Reply Post Reply
possibly, though I do not think you'll be as comfortable.

If this were my chart, I would select an EPAP level targeting above the bottom of the shark teeth, and then add whatever EPR with that to get my start IPAP pressure. I would select an EPAP of about 7.8, and choose to back off the EPR to 2. That would mean I would start with 9.8 IPAP and EPR = 2. I would pick an upper limit (20? 15? 12?) it only matters if you are awakened by the higher pressure.

If a really liked the EPR=3, I would have to increase my starting pressure to 10.8 to ensure I am not exhaling at lower pressure than 7.8.

Yours,
QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I adjusted my APAP settings for pressure as well as EPR. I slept very poorly and I think my data reflected that. I have no idea how to get my CA events down and I am totally confused as to why I'm having them since I was only diagnosed with OSA.

I am feeling totally defeated here.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thought apap adjusted automatically. Mine just adjusts as I sleep up or and down in pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
quesadilladaddy,

Did Clear Airway events show up on your sleep study? If CA's didn't show up on your test, then they should lessen in time.  

If you have a copy of the study, even without having the titration test, post it here.  

Higher pressures are not a friend of CA's. For now, I would go back to the 8.8cm and turn EPR off.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe CAs were present on my sleep stufy from what I can tell. It was an at home study with a WATCHPAT. I'm going to attempt to link my sleep stufy results in another reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 08:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote: quesadilladaddy,

Did Clear Airway events show up on your sleep study?  If CA's didn't show up on your test, then they should lessen in time.  

If you have a copy of the study, even without having the titration test, post it here.  

Higher pressures are not a friend of CA's.  For now, I would go back to the 8.8cm and turn EPR off.

I can't post links yet on here due to being a new user. But i will try to upload some of the files.

It was an at home test using WATCHPAT. I don't think CAs showed up during it to my knowledge.

(02-15-2023, 09:17 AM)quesadilladaddy Wrote: I can't post links yet on here due to being a new user. But i will try to upload some of the files.

It was an at home test using WATCHPAT. I don't think CAs showed up during it to my knowledge.

2nd file

(02-15-2023, 09:17 AM)quesadilladaddy Wrote: I can't post links yet on here due to being a new user. But i will try to upload some of the files.

2nd file

3rd file

2nd file

3rd file

4th file and done! Let me know if I need to delete any of these posts. New to the site and trying my best.

Post Reply Post Reply
You had 3.1 central AHI in Rem sleep and 0.7 in non-Rem. So you have some centrals on your diagnostic. That Means these are most likely not TECA and of unknown origin or idiopathic at this time. This means the action recommended by myself and others will most likely not reduce your CAI below what it is on your EPR1 chart (Reddit).

Still turn off EPR and see if we get lucky.

Also be aware that central apneas show up up with what we call a consistently inconsistent frequency. In other words CAI often jumps all over the place unless you are treating it with a machine that is designed to treat centrals such as an ASV. Having a CAI of over 5 is one of the criteria for getting an ASV
Post Reply Post Reply
Look in settings/Comfort to turn EPR off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,416 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.