Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user
New member and new OSCAR user

Hi everyone!

Long time CPAP user (10+ years) having troubles at home with snoring and (according to this screenshot!) apparently I am having lots of apnea events. 

I started in the beginning with a nasal pillow but over time I felt that my allergies were making it difficult to use the pillow only, so I switched to a nose/mouth mask. 

Lately complaints of snoring have increased from my partner and therefore I found and downloaded OSCAR. Quite surprised at the high AHI from last night.

I have gained weight and my unit is not an auto-pressure unit so I figure I should start by increasing the pressure, but I would yield to any advice you all have for my situation.

I had stopped seeing a sleep doctor for a good 5 years as everything seemed fine, I did not even consult on the mask change. I have made an appt with a new doc but its a couple months out and would like to resolve this sooner, and also try to avoid a sleep study as its not covered by my insurance.

Thanks!
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member and new OSCAR user
Hi squiddog! - Welcome

It appears that your pressure is too low. This is because OAs and Hypopneas are predominantly controlled by your EPAP pressure and sleeping position. Since you have your EPR set to 3, then I would increase your pressure setting to 11 cm. This will yield an EPAP pressure of 8 cm, up from the current 5 cm. Also, avoid sleeping on your back or chin tucking.

Take her for a snooze tonight and see if that helps.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you can also do this in steps. pressure of 9, then 10, then 11. run at each step for a couple days. It is quite possible the OAs will require the highest step, since there are a lot of them and your snoring is predominant.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The chin tucking comment is solid, look for a flatter pillow, use 1, vs 2, strive to keep your neck straight.
The increase in pressure is a solid suggestion and you may need to further increase it.
Get familiar with the Soft Cervical Collar link in my signature and the Positional Apnea it corrects.

S.Q.U.I.D. Did you serve? (MM1(SS)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. Definitely will try the pressure change to start and see what happens!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 241 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 186 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 678 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 211 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 245 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 155 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 314 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.