Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Pressure seems too high, out of control
Video 
Pressure seems too high, out of control
I used my CPAP last night and for a nap today without problems. However, going to bed tonight, the pressure has taken on a life of its own. With my mask on properly, the CPAP blows so hard my ear drums feel like they're going to burst. In addition, it doesn't allow me to finish exhaling before it's blowing up my head again. If I let it control my breathing, I'd hyperventilate. 

So I'll be sleeping (or not) without a machine tonight - the first time in 14 years. I hope someone can make sense of what I'm describing and offer some suggestions.

TIA,
Gail
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure seems too high, out of control
sure.  what are your settings?  the machine may be malfunctioning.  if you can change the settings, try setting maximum down pretty low.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your quick response. My machine has been set at 8 + 20 although my prescription is for 8. Tonight I tried setting 8 as the maximum and 6 as the minimum but that didn't make any difference. You may be right that the machine is just malfunctioning. I remembered that I still have an older machine that works so I'll have that for tonight. I'll try to get down to the supplier of my machine later this week and see what they have to say. I'll post what I find out.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
glad you have a back up. I don't, but better make plans for the future.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears your machine is malfunctioning but it would be helpful if we could see data. I suggest you download and install SlepyHead from the link at the top of this page. Than, if you continue to have issues or need help in the future you will be able to post data here.

By all means take it to your supplier to have it checked.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine can be set in Autoset mode for minimum 8 and maximum 8, or in CPAP mode a 8.0 cm. If a flow/pressure sensor has malfunctioned, there is a good chance the machine will be under warranty if you return it to your supplier.

Software like #Sleepyhead is free. It will tell the tale of whether your problem is from a machine setting, run-away pressure or a large leak in the system. There are lots of reasons to use software to see your results and machine behavior. It would be very unusual for a machine to malfunction and not display an error code. The condition you describe is not only unusual, it is nearly implausible.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gailtilt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds to me like you have a malfunctioning machine, it’s good that you have a backup machine to get you through ’till you get a new one.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband mentioned that this happened to him once on the same model machine,  and then corrected itself. I unplugged mine and will see how it does in the morning. Will keep you posted.
Gail
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - I actually returned 2 Autosense for Her machines because of that reason.  It was like an out of control hurricane beginning about 4-6 hours after starting at night.  I think this machine has more problems that they acknowledge.  I even had the outlet checked and unplugged etc - nothing helped.  I also returned 2 because of excess humidity causing spraying water all in my face during the night like a garden hose.  I now have a Dreamstation (has a softer algorithm) and have none of these issues - sleeping much better.  Get someone to check your machine, but tell them they can't just run it a couple of hours - they need to do at least 8 hours because the crazy air thing doesn't start right away.  Good luck - I had to really fight to get anyone to check it properly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 967 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.