Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Settings for UARS Mild Apnea, Airsense 10
Question 
Pressure Settings for UARS Mild Apnea, Airsense 10
            Hi everyone,

I am looking for help dialing in my pressure settings. I have been diagnosed with UARS via Lofta WatchPAT test. RDI 5.5, AHI 1.5. I'm 28 years old, male, in decent physical shape / not obese.

Symptoms: I have always felt exhausted even after a full night's sleep, which is why I took the sleep study. 

Where I am now: I've purchased an Airsense 10, found a mask that worked (Resmed N30i), and have been mostly on 4-8 pressure with EPR set to 2 and humidification on. I use mouth tape at night.

I've seen conflicting advice on where to set my pressure and if EPR is hurting or helping. I haven't had a titration study, only Lofta. So far, I've done about 20 days on APAP, and had 2-3 really good days where I felt very refreshed and happy. Most other days are somewhere in the middle.

Where I Need Help: If anyone has advice on pressure settings based on the sleep data I've added, I would be very appreciative.

Happy to post sleep study results or other OSCAR data. 

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Settings for UARS Mild Apnea, Airsense 10
Ok I think we need to explain EPR (exhale pressure relief)

To begin with all cpap machines have a min pressure of 4.  That means that it can NOT go lower than 4.

EPR subtracts the EPR pressure from the min to get the exhale pressure.  So if you have it set as a min 7 - EPR 3= Exhale pressure of 4.  The lowest any cpap can go.

If you have Min 5 - EPR 3 would equal 2 BUT IT CAN NOT GO LOWER THAN 4.  So min 5 - EPR 3 = 4.

Your flow limits are high and that raises the pressure to stop them from becoming O or H events.  To help flow limits we use EPR.  I would suggest you set the min to 7 and EPR 3 to see how this works for you.  That would give you an inhale pressure of 7 and exhale pressure of 4.

Min 7
EPR full time 3
max 10
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the quick response! I will definitely try those settings and the EPR thing makes a lot more sense now. I assumed that because my OSCAR data showed a max of 8.4 that I wouldnt need to go any higher than that. Any reason to have 10 as opposed to something like 9? 

To confirm, with your suggested settings, I will be by default inhaling 7, exhaling 4. But when there is an event, my pressure can ramp all the way up to 10 inhale and 7 exhale? Is that correct? 

Would having a lower flow limitation in OSCAR after changing these settings indicate I'm on the right track?

THANK YOU!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update, I tried those recommended settings of 7 min, 10 max, with EPR 3 and my symptoms appear to have gotten worse. I feel pretty fatigued today. See attached data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Help with pressure settings please (OSCAR data included) jc12312 2 81 Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jc12312
  [Diagnosis] Diagnosed with mild OSA - Could this be UARS? roroboon 9 253 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Diagnosis] Mild OSA diganosis (low AHI, higher RDI) -- Worried and unsure how to proceed Quibly35 1 84 07-25-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  UARS? Lead Miner 3 196 07-25-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Lead Miner
  Nose congestion and UARS Jstalez 10 270 07-25-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Jstalez
  Uncomfortable Mild apnea sleeper GoldenSilence 10 347 07-23-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 23 3,885 07-23-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.