Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Support
RE: Pressure Support
This is a great thread, and the beginning of it is testimony that I think every PAP user could benefit from reading: small changes in therapy can result in big changes in outcomes.

"Just wanted to add a quick update to say that your research on CA's and specifically point 2 re longer Timax may result in CA's was the issue."

Just to add comment, this makes sense, because decreasing Timax is going to decrease tidal volume, which in turn will reduce washout of CO2, which in turn will decrease CAs. All of these concepts are part of the same fabric. The respiratory rate x tidal volume = minute ventilation. You don't necessarily need to achieve a lower RR, because alternatively you can lower tidal volume, by way of decreasing inspiration time in this case.

For point 3 - Check Cycle settings, if low, potentially try increasing to med or high.
Exactly, because once again, a higher cycle will trigger exhalation sooner, cutting off inspiration and lowering tidal volume.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very interesting thread.
So If I understand well, when we want to use a higher PS to better treat random flow limitation (example UARS) and this PS induces too much CA, change the trigger and Timax parameters could be the solution to override the CA ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for further clarifcation CPAPfriend. Interesting comment about respiration rate, I have noticed how these different adjustments tend to alter respiration rate. He tends to have a slow respiration rate, but reducing PS seems to increase it.

Regarding Cycle he is on Med, but I will give High setting a try. He's dropped all the way from a spont of 80-90% to 40-60% since correcting the CA's. Im thinking to perhaps incrementally reduce PS by 0.2 and like wise Timax by 0.1 step by step to see where I can find the best balance of CA's vs Spont cycle figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zaienk,

Yes it does seem to be a solution that can be applied if you are experiencing CA's.

You could possibly also consider increasing Cycle from Low to Med, or med to High also, but probably best to adjust trigger and Timax first.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,445 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 458 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 716 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 311 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,153 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,408 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.