Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Why to limit Pressure?
RE: Why to limit Pressure?
OK, it started as a travel machine, but very quickly I find it easy to use because the humidifier is waterless and doesn't need a refill nor cleaning, also it takes very small place.
When I purchased it, I asked the seller not to set the pressure at all. So my first night started without pressure setting, I slept well and so tried the next days the same setting and find it well and all the parameters results are quite the same as the S10. So I felt like "Discovering America".
I'm having a long experience with CPAP, about 30 years and like to make experiments.    
For example, my mask is TAP PAP that doesn't fit the AirMini, so I canceled the humidifier and connected to the Air Mini hose an extension with a standard hose to be able connecting any regular mask that I want.
Post Reply Post Reply
I limit the pressure (both min and max) to help reduce aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2019, 02:18 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I limit the pressure (both min and max) to help reduce aerophagia.

Thank you, it's clear and makes sense 
Post Reply Post Reply
If you set the pressure too high, the patient may find it too uncomfortable and quit using CPAP.  Many people give up because they can't stand "breathing into a hurricane."  There is some validity for a doctor to set the pressure to a lower max value, at least until the patient adjusts to it.  Ideally, they would look at the data the machine records in the home and slowly increase the max if the patient needs it.  

I did quite a bit of experimentation.   If I set my machine to max 20, it will almost always go to 20 for at least part of the night.  If I set the max to 16, it always goes to 16, but I feel more comfortable and get less leakage, ear problems, gas, etc.  My AHI averages around 0.2, even at 16.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bottom pressure is limited in order to not take so long to address an apnea. It takes longer to address an apnea if the pressure has to go from 4 to 12 than if it has to go from 8 to 12. In addition, 4 and 5 are considered pediatric settings - unless you are a very small adult, your lowest setting should be 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
People, I don't know what kind of CPAP you are using, maybe cheap devices or unknown brands.
I always used the RESMED auto and never had a problem with the pressure control. I can increase the power but always the pressure doesn't exceed  9  to 11 - that's why it is auto CPAP, if the device cannot control the right pressure needed, it is a defect device.  Don't you think so?
What you are writing means that I cannot trust the CPAP control. I trust and rely my device.
Nevertheless, I decided to limit my pressure to 12 just in case that the device will get crazy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 501 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Shouldn't flow limit always precede OA events? NoddingHacker 1 362 12-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.