Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure all over the place (newbie w/ roughly week of data)
Pressure all over the place (newbie w/ roughly week of data)
Check out this image.... sorry I'm getting used to resizing and SnagIt likes to create jumbo sized images.

https://imgur.com/a/umA26ve

Needless to say my pressure seems sporadic  with no rhyme or reason to it.  On the bad night i was using a full face mask...all others except the one above bad night were with nasal pillows.

Any thoughts?

Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure all over the place (newbie w/ roughly week of data)
It is not unusual for pressure to fluctuate significantly and for the pattern to be different on different nights. There is reson. The machine is responding to apneas and flow limitations. It's difficult to say more about your data without seeing thr event flags, flow rate, and flow limit charts in addition to the pressure charts. Please see the links below for how to organize and post your data.  The minimum setting of 4 is probably too low. A higher minimum setting of 5 or 6 would be better. We usually recommend the minimum setting from your median pressure but that is not available in the data you provide. You machine sometimes goes to the max so a higher pressure may be necessary. Setting the max to 20 would provide a good indication of the max pressure you need. The pressure will not go to 20 if not required. If you don't know how to adjust the pressure go here: https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

If you are reluctant to change pressures now, please post your data as described in the links below and we will advise you.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2019, 08:52 PM)Diotima245 Wrote: Check out this image.... sorry I'm getting used to resizing and SnagIt likes to create jumbo sized images.

https://imgur.com/a/umA26ve

Needless to say my pressure seems sporadic  with no rhyme or reason to it.  On the bad night i was using a full face mask...all others except the one above bad night were with nasal pillows.

Any thoughts?

Huh
If you press F12 Oscar or sleepyhead will capture a screenshot that you can upload directly to your posts you need to raise you minimum pressure up from 4 as I suggested in another of your threads, it is often better to only post in one thread so all your questions are in one place
Post Reply Post Reply
Use the links you see in many of our signature lines for tutorials on how to organize the charts.
Then use the attachment feature to post here.

We need to see the left sidebar with all the stats, minus the calendar and pie chart. Eliminate the right sidebar.

You only need to display the following graphs:  Events, pressure, flow, leak rate and snores.
This way you have one chart with the most important information.

BTW, your data looks good, but have to agree with others that the minimum pressure of 4cm is too low.
Your machine has to work harder to get where it needs to be...hence the pressure fluctuations.  

Also, pressure will rise in reaction to flow limitations and snores.

If you are reluctant to raise it, start slow and raise it to 5cm for a few days.  

What is your median pressure in OSCAR stats? Your minimum should be set to that number.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are using a minimum pressure of 4.0 and maximum of 12.0 and are experiencing, not only wild fluctuations in pressure, but with EPR at 2 or 3, that changes as well. The minimum pressure the machine will provide is 4.0 cm, so with EPR at 3 the pressure goes from 4/4 to 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 and then finally EPAP starts to rise with IPAP, i.e. 8/5. When I coach users on setting up their machines I try to minimize pressure fluctuation to no more than 3-cm to avoid disruption. In your case, if you want to use EPR at 3, then the minimum pressure should be 7.0, and the maximum can stay at 12.0. This way, obstructed breathing is immediately treated by rising IPAP and EPAP. It is the EPAP pressure that treats obstructive apnea, so that is important. This will greatly reduce the pressure fluctuations you are experiencing and let you sleep better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2019, 11:02 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are using a minimum pressure of 4.0 and maximum of 12.0 and are experiencing, not only wild fluctuations in pressure, but with EPR at 2 or 3, that changes as well.  The minimum pressure the machine will provide is 4.0 cm, so with EPR at 3 the pressure goes from 4/4 to 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 and then finally EPAP starts to rise with IPAP, i.e. 8/5.   When I coach users on setting up their machines I try to minimize pressure fluctuation to no more than 3-cm to avoid disruption.  In your case, if you want to use EPR at 3, then the minimum pressure should be 7.0, and the maximum can stay at 12.0. This way, obstructed breathing is immediately treated by rising IPAP and EPAP.  It is the EPAP pressure that treats obstructive apnea, so that is important.  This will greatly reduce the pressure fluctuations you are experiencing and let you sleep better.

I'm going to try scaling it up to 5  12 then see how that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats fine, but turn EPR to 2. That way the machine will be more responsive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 512 Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 490 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.